Roller master timing chain questions

Slix

Needed to replace my timing chain on the Buick. Heard roller masters were the way to go... Before I order one, wondering if there was anything I needed to know... Would I need any other parts, like the cam button? Any suggestions appreciated, thanks

Needed to replace my timing chain on the Buick. Heard roller masters were the way to go... Before I order one, wondering if there was anything I needed to know... Would I need any other parts, like the cam button? Any suggestions appreciated, thanks
I replaced my original timing set about 2 years ago with a roll master set. I am happy with it. I also installed a roller cam button and used arp cam bolts and balancer bolt.

Attachments

• 20180204_125223.jpg
    20180204_125223.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
You need to grind that unnessessary flange off the inside of the timing cover to clear a rollmaster. No idea what it is or why it's there, but you can see it on the OD of the cam sensor bore.

While you're there, get a spring loaded roller button to replace the factory plastic button. Make sure the factory button hasn't worn a point on the timing covers rubbing surface.

..and do my oil flow mods while the cover is off.

and convert to a neoprene front crank seal.

the drop the oil pan and clean out all the timing gear teeth, replace the factory pickup with a Melling unit that doesn't have a trap door.

Bonus points if you modify the oil drain bung so that it'll actually drain out all the oil during an oil change.

I replaced my original timing set about 2 years ago with a roll master set. I am happy with it. I also installed a roller cam button and used arp cam bolts and balancer bolt.
You need to grind that unnessessary flange off the inside of the timing cover to clear a rollmaster. No idea what it is or why it's there, but you can see it on the OD of the cam sensor bore.

While you're there, get a spring loaded roller button to replace the factory plastic button. Make sure the factory button hasn't worn a point on the timing covers rubbing surface.

..and do my oil flow mods while the cover is off.

and convert to a neoprene front crank seal.

the drop the oil pan and clean out all the timing gear teeth, replace the factory pickup with a Melling unit that doesn't have a trap door.

Bonus points if you modify the oil drain bung so that it'll actually drain out all the oil during an oil change.
Good call. Yes I forgot about that. I did replace my pickup tube and grind the front cover as well.

9 years ago at 130k I figured it was time to replace the timing chain. Went with all GM stock parts except the button and seal because the word was the full metal gear "could" cause a knock signal. Got it all apart and everything look new, not even a chip in the nylon teeth. Oil pan looked new inside also with just needing a slight wipe down. Also went with a new, super, ultra, high performance water pump from AA for $20!! GM wanted $200+ for their gold plated one so I passed.