Roller rocker ?

434nova

Okay a buddy called me and said after he installed a set of roller rockers his motor now sounds like a sewing machine. Has anyone experienced this before? He is still running a flat tappet cam and stock iron heads. I believe they are Harland sharp rockers. Is there any modification to run roller rockers on stock iron heads? Also what is the difference why you can’t run a rocker for a iron head on a champion aluminum? Thanks

image1 2.jpeg

I guess that’s why his rockers sound funny. I though maybe got rockers for aluminum heads and that was the issue.

"Also what is the difference why you can’t run a rocker for a iron head on a champion aluminum? Thanks "

The valve spacing on Champion aluminum heads is different than cast iron heads due to the size of the valves.

Rollers will make more noise than shoe rockers. It's just the nature of the beast with all the bearings and rollers.

Stock rockers don't 'click' when they scrub across parts.

Even with the pedestals clearanced they are still not a straight bolt on. More time they need to be clearanced properly for binding. Bolt them on and lift each arm up and down, majority of them need to be properly cut down if you can't put a 5 thou feeler gauge between them. Just food for thought as well.