Roller worth it?

80sportcoupe

Still putting together the budget for the rebuild... Dream engine vs. reality.

Do you guys think the roller rockers/cam are worth the price on these 3.8s? The kits I've seen are around $1K :eek: .

I'd like to use them just from a reliability/endurance standpoint, but the price tag seems steep.

Roller timing chain and 8445s are in the shopping cart already.

Thanks as always for the advice!

Roller rockers won't fit under the stock vlave covers, so you will need some aftermarket tall covers.

Then the turbo/plenum assembly won't clear the tall covers. So you need to raise it buy doubling the compressor to intake gasket, shimming the turbine bracket, shimming or removing the EGR manifold and reworking the plenum brackets.

Stock valvetrain in 86/87 TR's go well into the 10's. I'd stick with them.

I would agree with Rich, just on the cost alone for the Roller.
For 1k you can get a your turbo hogged out and a good cam/lifter comb. Or it's half the price for the Killer street Trans from PTS, Just some thing to think about.
Jim

That answers that...

Thanks for the info- You're right- it's not worth the $$ & effort with those extra mods required.

This isn't exactly a "money no object" rebuild, but we do want to do it right. It's great to have a wife who loves Turbo Regals and wants to try a 1/4 run when it's broken in.

I am thinking about a 200r4 (with the bracket mod) and a set of taller gears (3.43/3.23).

Planning on a K&N, 8445s, slightly hotter cam (open to suggestions). Not sure if headers/duals are worth it- the discussions I've seen suggest the '80 manifolds were pretty good stock. Maybe some turbo work, bigger downpipe.

i.e. runs on 93, good idle, no bog, road trippable on occasion, faster than stock.

:D

Originally posted by b4black
Then the turbo/plenum assembly won't clear the tall covers. So you need to raise it buy doubling the compressor to intake gasket, shimming the turbine bracket, shimming or removing the EGR manifold and reworking the plenum brackets.

Are you sure the turbo/plenum assembley wont clear tall valve covers? I just removed a set of tall chrome Edlebrock VC's from my '83. The holes were in the wrong places but they fit under the turbo/plenum just fine.:confused:

Re: That answers that...

Originally posted by 80sportcoupe
It's great to have a wife who loves Turbo Regals and wants to try a 1/4 run when it's broken in.

AMEN!

But be very very careful!
You could create a TB monster;)

Are rollers worth it???

Heck, I (nor-Smokey Yunick) believe they are worth it even on a sbc.
Too EXPENSIVE
Too MANY MOVING PARTS
Heavier than modified stock rockers
More chances of failure

That's what I was told by someone who used rollers. When I checked the clearance on my stock set up, there was very little room between the turbine elbow and the plenum with the steel valve covers.

Maybe different covers will fit. Your chrome covers are steel, so maybe they have more rounded corners than most aluminum ones I've seen.

The problem with all covers seems to be the hole placement. I want to find a way to use the stock 84/87 covers, but adding a hole is tricky with the fins on top.

Originally posted by b4black
That's what I was told by someone who used rollers. When I checked the clearance on my stock set up, there was very little room between the turbine elbow and the plenum with the steel valve covers.

Maybe different covers will fit. Your chrome covers are steel, so maybe they have more rounded corners than most aluminum ones I've seen.

Yes, clearance was tight but they did fit ok.
If the corners were more rigid they may not have worked.
I would say that it was that close.

No roller.

Yeah, the rollers are off the goodies list- the money can be better spent elsewhere.

I've seen lots of posts about cracked headers & spool-up issues with incorrect exhaust setups, etc.

My only experience with exhaust on this 3.8 is that it ran like a bat out of $%&# when I "broomsticked" a clogged Cat a few years ago. Had to make it right before the next NC inspection, of course. Less stinky, less quick, more legal.

Does the TR engine appreciate headers & duals?

Thanks Rich-

I went back and read your buildup sheet on the Before Black site and the two articles you sent. All of which answered my last post.

Good info-

Is there somebody who builds just roller tip rockers

(If not HHHMMMMM)

That would be the best of both worlds lighter weight than true rollers but stronger and closer to the spec. size than stocker, and a little less friction

JMO