rotator cuff injury

MikeL.

Stay boosted my friends
It's not torn but I think it's strained as week one I had about 25-30 degrees of motion (arm down at side, raising it straight out and up towards parallel with floor). Week three, doc jammed a needle in my shoulder with procor and kenalog cocktail, for pain and swelling, helped some but didn't really do a lot.

Fast forward to today and I can now, with decent effort, raise it to where it's parallel with the floor. Still painful and sting/burn sensations are a joy. waking up in the mornings makes you want to swallow a 12 ga.

trying to avoid MRI and wondering what you guys do for pain management and exercises to help strengthen it. Seems like front delt hurts now for compensating? supposed to start in a golf league Wed...not looking good.

Speaking of 12 gauge...my dad was firing his about 6 weeks after surgery. He did this exercise where it looked like he was bowling with an imaginary bowling ball to help bring it back to strength. Again this was after surgery so I don't know if it will help you.

How do you know its not torn without an MRI?

I had surgery on my right shoulder last November for a torn labrum, torn rotator cuff, bursitis and bone spurs.

I still have to take pain medication to sleep and have lost a pretty good amount of strength in that arm. The upside is I do have full range of motion again... Im just not pain free.

How do you know its not torn without an MRI?

I had surgery on my right shoulder last November for a torn labrum, torn rotator cuff, bursitis and bone spurs.

I still have to take pain medication to sleep and have lost a pretty good amount of strength in that arm. The upside is I do have full range of motion again... Im just not pain free.

Correct, I don't know that it's torn and will probably make my way in for an MRI. I've been told by folks who have had a complete tear that there was a defining moment and knew it happened like a 'pop'. I noticed a gradual, albeit quick, deterioration in strength and of course limited mobility.

I had guessed with mobility returning that it wasn't a complete tear but I'm new to this and maybe that's not the case.

Both my shoulders are torn and did MRI. Sounds like same pain and motions. Never once did I feel myself tear them or hear anything. It's been a year since MRI and I just started feeling good so I thought I was good to go until I tried to show my young workout partner who was boss and benched 455lbs 2 times. Now one side is feeling it. I wouldn't golf!

Correct, I don't know that it's torn and will probably make my way in for an MRI. I've been told by folks who have had a complete tear that there was a defining moment and knew it happened like a 'pop'. I noticed a gradual, albeit quick, deterioration in strength and of course limited mobility.

I had guessed with mobility returning that it wasn't a complete tear but I'm new to this and maybe that's not the case.

They'll do a contrast dye MRI on your shoulder to asses this. Once they do that, whoever reviews the MRI can make the determination of whats going on.

Just make sure you do your homework on shoulder doctors. I used the practice that is supposed to be the best of the best around here. They do all the college football players, Carolina Hurricane players, etc and while I cant say the guy did a bad job, Im no where near 100%. Course, they say once you go 45 the recovery becomes worse so maybe thats whats going on.

I think I tore my right shoulder last August lifting a car hood (spread arms, grab sides, balance front on hip, lean back and lift in place) and it's still FUBAR'ed. Funny thing is, I never felt anything actually 'tear", just pain afterwards. I was getting better until I cranked on my yard equipment last week and felt it go again. Sucks to yank a pull start! I can work in the garage, but there's no way I could ever do the job I had before retiring. I take stuff for my back and that helps with the shoulder, but I don't see it ever getting better without intervention and I'm not to that point yet...

I think I tore my right shoulder last August lifting a car hood (spread arms, grab sides, balance front on hip, lean back and lift in place) and it's still FUBAR'ed. Funny thing is, I never felt anything actually 'tear", just pain afterwards. I was getting better until I cranked on my yard equipment last week and felt it go again. Sucks to yank a pull start! I can work in the garage, but there's no way I could ever do the job I had before retiring. I take stuff for my back and that helps with the shoulder, but I don't see it ever getting better without intervention and I'm not to that point yet...

The longer you wait, the worse the recovery is going to be. Not to mention you run the risk of your muscles atrophying. That happened to one of the owners of the company I work for. He waited too long and now there's nothing they can do for him.

Go get checked out. The procedure itself wasnt bad. The recovery, for the first 2 or 3 days, is terrible. Id say Im at about 70% in that shoulder now and its been 7 months for me. I can at least move my arm and have about a 98% range of motion.

I was never an athlete, but I did manage to do some really stupid stuff as a kid that's coming back to haunt me now. I'll be 60 in a few weeks and better suited for coping at this point than diving off into "unknown" trouble. I'll check with my insurance co and see what they say, there's a good sports doc over in Lake Charles...

I was never an athlete, but I did manage to do some really stupid stuff as a kid that's coming back to haunt me now. I'll be 60 in a few weeks and better suited for coping at this point than diving off into "unknown" trouble. I'll check with my insurance co and see what they say, there's a good sports doc over in Lake Charles...

Well, like I said, the surgery wasnt a big deal. It was quite easy. The first 3 days are rough.. its really hard to sleep and the pain meds dont help with that but after, its not so bad. My dad had both of his done at an age older than you and he's 100%. Dont wait.. after seeing what my boss went through, I really would advise not putting it off.

Went in for x-rays today and will go back for an MRI tomorrow, doesn't look good though...

I had surgery last December for a torn and separated labrum. The first few days were pretty rough but after that wasn't too bad. Spent 6 weeks with my arm in a sling and 4 months going to physical therapy. I had been putting up with the pain for a little over a year before surgery and don't regret having it fixed. Now I have almost 100% range of motion and around 80% strength back. If you have anything done, just make sure you have a comfortable recliner to sleep in and follow the orders of the doctor and do the physical therapy and exercises.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That was the worst MRI ever! Had to stop 2/3 way through to reposition because it felt like someone was boring a hole in my shoulder. The girl did say that shoulders were the worst, but they prolly say that about whatever the person is in for. Never noticed before that constant movement is what feels best...

That was the worst MRI ever! Had to stop 2/3 way through to reposition because it felt like someone was boring a hole in my shoulder. The girl did say that shoulders were the worst, but they prolly say that about whatever the person is in for. Never noticed before that constant movement is what feels best...
Yep.... Don't be surprised if your shoulder comes out of socket from the dye. Mine did about 5 times.

I still have to take pain medication to sleep but I'm down to only a couple nights a week if I had to move anything heavy at work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TurboBuick mobile app

Hurt my right rotator cuff arm wrestling back in '94. In 2008 had a wicked high speed snowboard crash that injured my left rotator cuff, shoulder blade and neck. Never went to the doc for either. Have just delt with daily pain. Recently I bought some MSM/Glucosamine for my dogs spine and it worked wonders on him. I just started taking it a few weeks ago and feel better already. Suppose to not have full effectiveness for 6 weeks so I hope it gets better n better.

Hurt my right rotator cuff arm wrestling back in '94. In 2008 had a wicked high speed snowboard crash that injured my left rotator cuff, shoulder blade and neck. Never went to the doc for either. Have just delt with daily pain. Recently I bought some MSM/Glucosamine for my dogs spine and it worked wonders on him. I just started taking it a few weeks ago and feel better already. Suppose to not have full effectiveness for 6 weeks so I hope it gets better n better.

Go to the doctor.

One of my friends injured his and waited and it eventually got so bad he decided to get it fixed. When he went in for his MRI, they told him his muscles had atrophyed to the point they could not be reattached. Now he gets to live with that pain and debilitation the rest of his life.

My injury initially occurred over 30 years ago and finally at 46 got so bad I couldnt deal with it anymore. Just because youre not hurting a lot now doesnt mean you wont be down the road. Dont wait and get yourself in a position it cant be fixed.

Yep.... Don't be surprised if your shoulder comes out of socket from the dye. Mine did about 5 times.

I still have to take pain medication to sleep but I'm down to only a couple nights a week if I had to move anything heavy at work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TurboBuick mobile app

They didn't do the dye on me, it was just not being able to move for 40 minutes. I made it to 30 and hollered Uncle!

I've been taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin daily for 5 or 6 years now for my knee and it does seem to help, but no help for the shoulder... :(

The longer you wait, the worse the recovery is going to be. Not to mention you run the risk of your muscles atrophying. That happened to one of the owners of the company I work for. He waited too long and now there's nothing they can do for him.

Go get checked out. The procedure itself wasnt bad. The recovery, for the first 2 or 3 days, is terrible. Id say Im at about 70% in that shoulder now and its been 7 months for me. I can at least move my arm and have about a 98% range of motion.

Yeah, you are right.
Back in '94 I was installing a security system for a local prominent doctor and he told me that there wasn't much that could be done for it. Just rest.

I think I'll go get the 2008 injury checked.

They'll do a contrast dye MRI on your shoulder to asses this. Once they do that, whoever reviews the MRI can make the determination of whats going on.

Just make sure you do your homework on shoulder doctors. I used the practice that is supposed to be the best of the best around here. They do all the college football players, Carolina Hurricane players, etc and while I cant say the guy did a bad job, Im no where near 100%. Course, they say once you go 45 the recovery becomes worse so maybe thats whats going on.

Going in for MRI this Thurs. I failed the physical strength test miserably and he's 95% positive of a tear and will be scheduling surgery. He confirmed everything you mentioned as far as waiting too long and muscle atrophy to where it's in operable. At 43, he said way too young not to have the surgery done.
Doctor is an ex Ohio State football starter and deals directly with the team and related injuries. I'm not looking forward to recovery but can't deal with the pain anymore and ready to get it over with.