You can type here any text you want

Rough idle and no power

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Captain

I just bought a 87 Turbo T. The car seems to be all stock. Here is my problem. The car idles like it is missing. The car also seems to be really down on power. While driving the car, I can power brake the car but it doesn't have enough power to spin the tires. While holding the break, the boost goes to 5 or 6 pounds, but car just gets in a bind. It will not spin the tires. After leaving the line the boost goes to about 13 or 14 pounds, so that seems to be fine. I have replaced the plugs, plug wires, and the IM. I am getting spark to all six plugs. I also put a temp. gun on each header and got the same temp for each header, so I believe each is firing. Please help if you have any suggestions

I just bought a 87 Turbo T. The car seems to be all stock. Here is my problem. The car idles like it is missing. The car also seems to be really down on power. While driving the car, I can power brake the car but it doesn't have enough power to spin the tires. While holding the break, the boost goes to 5 or 6 pounds, but car just gets in a bind. It will not spin the tires. After leaving the line the boost goes to about 13 or 14 pounds, so that seems to be fine. I have replaced the plugs, plug wires, and the IM. I am getting spark to all six plugs. I also put a temp. gun on each header and got the same temp for each header, so I believe each is firing. Please help if you have any suggestions

What brand of plug wires,plugs,and IM did you get? what did you set the gap at on the plugs?

The plugs are autolite #23's gap at 35. The IM in AC DELCO, and the wires are MSD's

These motors are notorious for wearing out the cam. Thats the first thing I'd check.

The plugs are autolite #23's gap at 35. The IM in AC DELCO, and the wires are MSD's

That all looks good.

So much for looking for the easy stuff.

How many miles are on the engine? if a lot has the timing chain / gears or the valve springs been replaced?

Like allready mentioned a compression check should be done now.

The car has 24,369 miles on it. I will do a compression check on it.

What happened to the ignition module that caused you to replace it at that low of mileage?

Do you race the car and what type of tires are you running on the back that you can't make squeal?

I just bought the car, so no, I have not raced it. I have put like 15 miles on the car. It has 255/45 17 on the rear. I borrowed a IM from a guy just to see if that was the problem. I am just trying different things to see what is going on with the car. The previous owner is not much help. Like I said, it has a really rough idle. My brother has a GN and according to him, even in stock form, it should smoke the rear tires if you build boost from a dead stop.

Have you done an ohm test on the coil pack?

It should read between 11K to 13K ohms with a digital volt meter.

Put the leads on each pair of terminals front to rear of the coils to test.

I just got finished with a compression check. Each has about 120 to 125 compression. Whitehot1, can you explain the ohm thing in more detail. What do you mean by each pair? Sorry that I am so stupid:)

I just got finished with a compression check. Each has about 120 to 125 compression. Whitehot1, can you explain the ohm thing in more detail. What do you mean by each pair? Sorry that I am so stupid:)

In post #2 above you will see a link that will show a coil pack numbered.

The coil pack is actually 3 seperate coils together that supply power to 2 cylinders each.

The pairs of coils are 1 - 4, 2 - 5, 3 - 6 put the probes on these pairs of terminals. hope this helps.

Just checked the ohm's. 4 and 1 are at 12.01 2 and 5 are at 17.84 and 6 and 3 are at 12.01. Does that make the 2 and 5 bad?

ok first things first the coild and module or either will usually cause a pop if there bad or going bad..rough idle you should check the fuel pressure i assume the car is mostly stock and does not have a good fp or fp reg in it. also does the car smell like unburned fuel??? has the chip been changed or turbo?? what about injectors?? there is more to it than just the im and the coil. those are probably fine. if compression test gave you 120-125 your ok there.my car has 17x 9s on the rear as weel its hard to spin them even with all the crap i have on my car but i also have a bad tranny. check for any vacuume leaks using carb spray or something at idle. pcv valve and the busted vacuume lines.i would assume thats your problem not the ignition system

I just bought the car, so no, I have not raced it. I have put like 15 miles on the car. It has 255/45 17 on the rear. I borrowed a IM from a guy just to see if that was the problem. I am just trying different things to see what is going on with the car. The previous owner is not much help. Like I said, it has a really rough idle. My brother has a GN and according to him, even in stock form, it should smoke the rear tires if you build boost from a dead stop.

Was the previous owner the original owner of the car?

What brand of oil did he use in the engine?

Did the engine have the miss when you bought it.I'm assuming it did and what did the previous owner say was the problem or say when it started happening?

Back