You can type here any text you want

rpm signal pegged if engine dies, Speed-Pro

• Thread starter Thread starter talent
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
T

talent

If my engine dies at idle, the rpm sometimes reads 8250 (max my tables are set up for) and the coil is firing. I flip the power off and on and this remedies the problem. I'm using the crank angle sensor in the distributor of an import. I'm using a 6AL box and HVC coil. What can be causing this?

Is the coil built into the distributor? If so, you will need to move the coil.

I had this same problem with an HEI setup, and had to go to an external coil, much to my chagrin. The coil created an electrical interference that made the ECU think I was turning 11000 RPM during cranking (and hence flooded the motor out).

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

I'm using and external MSD coil. And I can get the car to start right back up. I'm thinking the engine is stopped with one of the triggers at the pickup, I'll have to verify this.

Joe,

Is there anything you can do to loosen up the air gap on the pickup in the distributor? This frequently seems to help out quite a bit.

The air gap is not adjustable, unless I machine the trigger wheel down. Any other ways to prevent this, could I have wired something incorrectly?

BTW I'm not Joe:)

Talent,

First of all, noone knows what kind of car you have, except some sort of import. My Buick was made in Canada. So how are we supposed to help you? We need more information than you are providing.

Why does your engine die when it's idling? Are you turning the key off or is the engine killing itself? Some more information on your ignition would help too. Do you have DFI? FAST? The imported ECM with a chip?

Also, you might notice that everyone else signs their posts with their name, feel free to use yours as well. Having "earth" as your location is not funny- if you put where you really are, maybe we can recommend someone nearby who is familiar with your system help you figure it out.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

Dear Bob,

I have a 93 Toyota MR2 turbo with a 1998 version engine imported from Japan.

I just got the engine running and while I'm still working on the program it dies at idle. I'm sure I'll get that worked out and this problem shouldn't happen.

I'm running a FAST or Speed-Pro (from the subject line)

My name is Vincent.

Earth not funny?! I think so, haven't you met someone who you would swear was from Neptune? I in Chicago.
I carried the same info from the MR2 board I post on, where you wouldn't want to use your real name either.
I can't believe my posts upset people so much that my talent account was disabled and I had to reregister.

BTW, Craig, I work with Joe but he doesn't know why it does this either.

Vincent,

If you are able, I would try to log the engine operation when it dies. If you see the RPMs spike before the engine dies, then I would look for some other electrical interference (plug wire near the pickup wire, etc.).

If it dies and then the RPM's spike, I would suspect the pickup. Do the injectors max out (100% DC) when it does that? I would think that with 100 KPA and 8000 RPMs, you would flood the engine big time. I'm not familiar with the Toyota distributor arrangement, so I can't guess.

Does the engine just quit? Or does it sputter around first? Does your O2 sensor spike very rich? Does it smell like raw gas when you go to restart? I guess I'm curious whether the engine dies because it floods out, or whether it floods out because it dies. Is the ECU still firing the ignition and injectors when it dies?

I've met several people who could very well be from another planet, and I can certainly appreciate humor as well as the next guy- I've never been on the MR2 board, but here you will have a hard time finding anyone who will harrass you etc. I apologize for sounding critical.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

Thanks Bob, I'm going to log it and check out what you suggested.

Back