Rr Main Leaks - a given over time with Turbos?

KenB 87 TT

Help a neophyte, please.

The car I take care of for an overseas buddy is an 87 TT, doesn't get driven enough due to my paranoia, and always seems to develop new issues.

Thank said, it has a few leaks (Oil (& ATF)) that appear to be $$ to fix.
A shop that builds custom turbo/supercharger applications suggested to prevent an oil leak from recurring at the main seals, to set-up a crankcase evac. system.
Is this necessary on a car that is, as best I know, essentially stock, other than the adj wastegate allowing 19 psi?

I've not been reading here for a while, and I just don't recall such a system being discussed often, is it the wrong approach, or otherwise are mild leaky mains a given?

Sorry if I'm vague, its just the shop has been straight up with me for 4 years on my other car (396 LT1 94 TA) and I've seen some of their custom applications, so are they being way too conservative (i.e. big time overkill) in their suggestion?

And as it appears the rear main needs replacemetn, since I'm not going to do it myself, whats a reasonable labor-time estimate?

Thanks

It takes about 1 hour to R&R a rear main seal. Pretty straight forward job. Be SURE to use a neoprene seal (available from Fel-Pro, and most other gasket companies). Also buy a good cork oil pan gasket and use a light film of RTV on both sides, to get the pan to seal GREAT. IT might not be the rear main seal, though. It might be valve cover gaskets. Real common. BUT it wouldn't hurt to change valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, and rear main seal, to get evrything sealed up tight. The front timing cover seal and gasket also leaks frequently. The timing cover seal takes a bit more time to do. If it is leaking, then it's probably time for a timing chain, too. BUT............IF a Buick doesn't leak oil................You better ADD some, 'cause the oil pan is empty!:eek: :biggrin: Same thing with Jaguars! The reason Buick engineers and Jaguar engineers never made televisions, is they couldn't figure out how to MAKE them leak oil!:p