You can type here any text you want

Running 4 front 16x8 OEM GTA wheels with this brake setup

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
Just wondering if anyone run a similar sized setup with a 12" rotor and had any clearance issues. Wilwood specifically states 15 wheel need at min, but then disclaim that any wheel needs to be checked. I believe running a 0 offset 16x8 will yield me the clearance needed. However would like to see if there are any out there that have done so and how the install went.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...e=Buick&model=Regal+Grand+National&option=All

What are the planned uses of your car and are you making track runs with it?
Currently are the factory sized disc rotors on the car and have you used the 16 x 8 fronts on the car, using spacers to ensure you're not rubbing on the upper or lower suspension pieces with the inside edge of the wheels?

You shouldn't have any caliper rub issues on the inside of the wheels, just have to make sure the inside of the wheels & suspension pieces spacing is adequate to not have any rub.

I'm not running larger than factory sized rotors on my 87 T, but i do have the (4) GTA 16 x 8 fronts mounted all around with spacers.
That offset on the rotors you are looking at won't change the wheels spacing any amount in either direction, but you may need to check to make sure you aren't gonna run into rubbing issues on the suspension from the inside of the wheels and possibly need to run thicker spacers to give extra clearance of stuff.

Last edited:
Currently using all UMI setup for suspension components and running 16x8 GTA all around with no rubbing issues, it may have something to do with the aftermarket suspension setup. Intended uses for the car are street and strip and a really good handling car with some pretty good power. I just like to be able to stop and investing in a good set of brakes is a must. I am just curious with any one out there that may have put a big brake setup on our cars with GTA wheels with any caliper clearance issues with the GTA. I plan on doing the write up when I start to keep the knowledge base growing. The guys at willood tech started my conversation with give me your yr make and model and I could hear him typing in the backround....otherwords.....no knowledge.

I will start with a spare set of spindles i have to modify cut and drill the correct diameter holes and actually have the unit ready to hang to make sure the wheel clears before I go to disassemble my current stock setup

Do you have the hydroboost setup on it or vaccuum?
Not to be mean to the person you talked to on the phone, but some people have no clue about what a TR is so shouldn't be too surprised that you got someone on the phone that didn't seem enthusiastic hearing what you were inquiring about.
A hydroboost setup even with the factory sized discs stops quick without fading or a hard pedal.

My 87 T has a hydroboost setup and has factory sized not very expensive discs up front without slotting or drilled rotors & she stops / slows down without issues at any speed. Doesn't hurt having 225 55 16zr tires mounted on the 16 x8's all the way around, but they are a cheap primwell pz900 ultra high performance tire that's a fairly soft all weather tire from firestone. Probably be even better with alittle better tires, but she makes change as it is.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
Well I'll be testing a cheap brake upgrade tomorrow for the Blazer knuckle Toby. If you haven't seen the blazer brake upgrade thread, I bumped it this last week with the news of what I've designed. It's not a flashy as one of the after market sets and it almost looks like a stock knuckle, and gives you a 12" 1.25" thick rotor and a single piston caliper with a 2 & 15/16" piston. It will fit in a GTA wheel and should stop the car like you hit a wall.:D Here's the stock next to the newly designed brake set up.:cool:
DSCF1288.JPG

If i needed to upgrade the brakes, i'd be curious to look into what you stumbled onto charlie. But just alittle over a year ago had new rotors and pads thrown on, the factory rotors couldn't be turned any more. So won't be looking at changing rotors for quite awhile unless something odd happens, amazed really that the stock rotors went so long honestly.

If i needed to upgrade the brakes, i'd be curious to look into what you stumbled onto charlie.
Didn't exactly stumble onto it, but got a hint about it and spent several years looking for the info. I finally found flynbye's (Ed) post about upgrading the blazer knuckles and read everything I could about it. Got lucky this spring and found a pair of 4th gen camaro 12" rotors as a swap meet, and talked the guy down to $10 for the pair. That's when I started experimenting.;) Took me several months and a few mistakes to figure out how to make the brackets, and after trying 1 caliper, I went to 1 of my old brake books to find the caliper I needed.:D We get to find out how well it works tomorrow, and I'll be posting the info in the 11" brake upgrade thread for those that are interested.(y)

hey Charlie, yea i would like to see how everything turns out. And I will keep this upgrade in mind if for some reason the wilwood doesnt work out! Maybe Ill do this setup on my 81 Cutlass.

As for my brake booster, i do have the hydroboost that came on it (84) and am very impressed with the feel of the pedal versus my vacuum operated cutlass system. I am running a Nexen Y rated 245-50-16 that seems to handle pretty well. However I do need to tune the coil overs on all 4 corners still.

Hydroboost setups have alot more clamping force over vac and the power master's do hands down. Probably gonna look into going upto 235 or 245 50 16zr tires at some point, just need to find something that isnt like $180 per tire (100 to 120 would be ok per tire.)

Hope it goes well charlie, crossing fingers
You and me both. Since this is someone else' car I don't want any issues. Will be starting out slow and if everything works right then trying to find any issues. Once proven, then I've got to refine the bracket and find someone to make them so I can market it as as an inexpensive upgrade in kit form or in pieces, depending on your pocketbook.;)

I can only imagine how much more hitting a wall feel of hydroboost and those 11" (actually 10.7" with a dual piston caliper) blazer brake upgrade paired together would be like.

If only we had an anti-lock brake on / off toggle option for our TR's, so when on the street and doing autocross had no locking up under really hard braking but could turn it off when going to the strip. I know it'd be expensive and be really a pain in the butt along with being a bit tough to do, but it'd be an interesting thing to see somehow happen in our g-bodys. Although trying to make it work could be very frustrating and more trouble than it might be worth attempting.

Well it seems I am in the clear for a 6 piston setup with 12.2 in brakes with the GNX wheels. I was able to get a staged look of the caliper placed into the center of the rotor with the pads then the hub put in the wheel centered. It looks like I should have no worries.

Attachments

• 20140712_181508_resized.jpg
    20140712_181508_resized.jpg
    705.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 20140712_181515_resized.jpg
    20140712_181515_resized.jpg
    660.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 20140712_181529_resized.jpg
    20140712_181529_resized.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 20140712_181534_resized.jpg
    20140712_181534_resized.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 77
  • 20140712_181546_resized.jpg
    20140712_181546_resized.jpg
    651.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 20140712_181649_resized.jpg
    20140712_181649_resized.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 76
Hydroboost setups have alot more clamping force over vac and the power master's do hands down. Probably gonna look into going upto 235 or 245 50 16zr tires at some point, just need to find something that isnt like $180 per tire (100 to 120 would be ok per tire.)

i got some Hankook Ventus V2 Concept tires in 245/50/16 last summer for about $110 per tire mounted and balanced. the internet says that they are a good long wearing high performance summer tire, and my experience is that they are nice and quiet, seem to grip well, and do good in heavy rains.

Got the Wilwood 6 piston setup onto a modified spindle and attached to a wheel to make sure i have good clearance. So now I can put it to bed that the Wilwood big brake setup will work for 12.2" rotors and GTA 16x8 front 0 offset wheels!

Attachments

• IMG_2962.JPG
    IMG_2962.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2963.JPG
    IMG_2963.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2964.JPG
    IMG_2964.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2965.JPG
    IMG_2965.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2969.JPG
    IMG_2969.JPG
    902.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2972.JPG
    IMG_2972.JPG
    830.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2974.JPG
    IMG_2974.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2975.JPG
    IMG_2975.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2976.JPG
    IMG_2976.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2977.JPG
    IMG_2977.JPG
    872.4 KB · Views: 80
So did you end up getting the kinks out of the brake upgrade charlie?
Definitely can't go bigger than 12" disc rotors with the 16's, unless you don't want the tires to turn cause the caliper is hitting the inside of the rims hehe.

So did you end up getting the kinks out of the brake upgrade charlie?
Definitely can't go bigger than 12" disc rotors with the 16's, unless you don't want the tires to turn cause the caliper is hitting the inside of the rims hehe.
Did you check the link to the 11" brake upgrade? I've spent most of the day trying to figure out how to get rid of the mushy pedal but at just about any speed it will just about throw you through the wind sheild.:D

Back