You can type here any text you want

Runs Really Ruff in Drive

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Utah Blaine

Replaced all vacuum hoses, plugs and wires, fixed all electrical and engine runs really good. Real smooth until I put it in drive. The engine starts to run like its running on 4 cylinders. I have the car on jack stands and haven't cleaned the gas tank yet. The gas is supplied from a 5 gal. can under the car. its only regular gas (89) but I wouldn't think that would be a problem. Tran goes through all the gears fine but the engine runs real ruff until I put in neutral and it gets real smooth again. Could it be the trans vac line? Its the only vacuum line I didn't replace. I found it on the tranny but couldn't see where it went on the engine. Any ideas?

I would switch to super first, and the timing is set so it would start and run, kinda. Advance the timing slightly as well as richen the mixture up some.

I would switch to super first, and the timing is set so it would start and run, kinda. Advance the timing slightly as well as richen the mixture up some.

Charlie, I don't know how to Advance the timing or richen the fuel. I hate to say it but I haven't messed with cars since I was in high school. Back then we used timing lights and the carbs I played with were Carter and Holley with points and condensers.

I did mess around with the vacuum hoses and found some I had missed and a couple that are in questionable places! The diagram on vacuum hoses at beforeblack shows the vacuum from the wastegate going to the back of the carb. Mine goes into the back of the plenum. Is this right??

Charlie, I don't know how to Advance the timing or richen the fuel. I hate to say it but I haven't messed with cars since I was in high school. Back then we used timing lights and the carbs I played with were Carter and Holley with points and condensers.

I did mess around with the vacuum hoses and found some I had missed and a couple that are in questionable places! The diagram on vacuum hoses at beforeblack shows the vacuum from the wastegate going to the back of the carb. Mine goes into the back of the plenum. Is this right??
Loosen the distributor slightly and *with you standing at the front of the car) turn it very slightly counter clock wise. That will advance it. Remember that a full circle is 360 degrees but in this case it's broken down by 1/2 degree increments so you only need to move it a hair to go as much as 10 degrees of timing.

The carb adjust just like a holley or carter with the 2 screws at the front base, but you may need a special tool to do it. Out is richer and in is leaner.

The stock waste gate actuator had 2 lines that went to it. One is on the very end and goes to the base (foot) of the turbo. The other *the one closest to the rod) can be plugged. It really doesn't do much.

There was a hose that went on the foot (the thing with 3 bolts into the manifold) that went under the plenum and came out of the back behind the carb. I can't remember what it was hooked to. I think it went to the boost pressure & vacuum switch (on the drivers finder, wheel well next to the washer fluid bottle). It was pretty burned up from being in that hot environment (under plenum). I left it there, a new one that is.

The other one was on the round thing there by the rod or with the rod coming out of it. It was the only other one I saw and it went to the back side of the plenum under carb.

Does any of this make since?

This may help some then. This is for the 2 barrel but it should give you a better idea.
DSCF1307.JPG

What is the TVB valve?

On Mine I have things going:

The waste gate goes to carb
EGR and EFE-EGR are blocked off
PCV goes to carb
Distributor goes to carb
Air cleaner nowhere
Purge goes to carb and canister

I don't see that other waste gate line? at the foot.
Where does that EFE pipe go and is it a hard line?
I ran better today when I put it in the gears, a lot better but idol was a little ruff at first but got better.

TYB is the turbo chaeger bleed valve. The pic is for a 78 2 barrel carb and for the 4 barrel id doesn't use it. Look at where the line going from the waste gate to the carb is located on the actuator. It's closest to the rod. The end doesn't show the line that goes to the foot of the turbo to the actuator. I've got the factory manual and I'll see if I can take a few more pics for you out of it so you can get a better idea of where things go tomorrow. Sending you a PM.

Back