You can type here any text you want

Rust Remover

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

72firebird

Alright well my car has been a northern car all it's life (it's lived in MI until I bought it to bring it about 5 ft over the MI border into Indiana) so of course it's got a little rust in some spots on the undercarrage.

Anyways I was looking in the new Pontiac Enthusiast and found out about a product called Evapo-rust by Orison Marketing. They show pictures of it stripping surface rust without much effort (a little help from a wire brush to help the product work) so I decided to check out their site. Turns out it's primarily used by the military on plains and other weapons. Here's the site about it http://www.orisonllc.com/corrosion/evaporust/evapo-rust.html They also have a product called Carwell CP90 that's used to prevent rust on bare metals. I thought this would be perfect with the common surface rust problem with the k-memeber http://www.orisonllc.com/corrosion/cp90/cp90.html

Has anyone used this stuff or had any good or bad experiences with it? I'm planning on ordering some for my dad to use on his 72 Firebird restoration and to use on my TTA of course.

I have not used that product but there are a number of good ones on the market from Eastwood, Bill Hirsch, etc.

What area of the car do you plan to use it on?

Depending on what it is, if you want to get it back to an OEM look, you'd really have to sandblast it and/or sand it. Otherwise, the rust products like POR-15, Miracle paint and Rust Encapsulator might be easier to use. Wire brush it, get it relatively clean, rust-paint it and then over-coat it.

mark b said:
I have not used that product but there are a number of good ones on the market from Eastwood, Bill Hirsch, etc.

What area of the car do you plan to use it on?

Depending on what it is, if you want to get it back to an OEM look, you'd really have to sandblast it and/or sand it. Otherwise, the rust products like POR-15, Miracle paint and Rust Encapsulator might be easier to use. Wire brush it, get it relatively clean, rust-paint it and then over-coat it.

I wanna do my crossmember mainly but maybe some other suspension parts. Porbably do my headers and/or crossover pipe. According to the magazine this stuff does an awesome job so I think I'm gunna order some an try it. I would prefer not to sand blast it so the material will keep the original texture.

Evaporust is an amazing product! You have to submerge the part or wrap the part totally to get it to work as desired. I bought a 5 gallon container of this and it was worth it's weight in gold! I haven't tried to wrap the part blanket style wet with the Evaporust though. Not sure that this approach would give the desired results?? I would say it would work good for any part you can remove and submerge in the stuff like the headers and Xover pipe. You can also buy some of the larger square containers to pour the stuff in.

72firebird said:
I wanna do my crossmember mainly but maybe some other suspension parts. Porbably do my headers and/or crossover pipe. According to the magazine this stuff does an awesome job so I think I'm gunna order some an try it. I would prefer not to sand blast it so the material will keep the original texture.

Trying to remove rust off the headers and crossover? You have to blast that stuff and repaint it if you really want to get it back unless it's very "surface".
Even if you ge the rust off with this stuff, what's it's going to leave? You will still need to repaint.

For what it's worth, most car restorations sand-blast the parts and repaint it the factory way to get back to the "texture" you mention, especially on the parts you mention like suspension parts.

mark b said:
Trying to remove rust off the headers and crossover? You have to blast that stuff and repaint it if you really want to get it back unless it's very "surface".
Even if you ge the rust off with this stuff, what's it's going to leave? You will still need to repaint.

For what it's worth, most car restorations sand-blast the parts and repaint it the factory way to get back to the "texture" you mention, especially on the parts you mention like suspension parts.

On the TTA the crossmember came with like an oil coating on it. It was never painted from the factory. As for the crossover pipe and headers it is very minor surface rust. The car only has about 23k miles on it right now and stored during the winters but still got a little rust on it. Also these parts weren't originally painted either I believe. If you notice the second link is a product they sell that you spray on the metal to help protect it from any future surface rust.

I dunno why people worship sandblasting when really it sucks, I think. Most of the good painters that I know chemical strip the cars and only sand blast the seems and tight corners where gunk builds up from chemical stripping. It takes a lot of time out of thye project and produces better results in my opinion. I guess everyone has their own way of doing things. I also prefer to do things my self to make sure they meet my standards and things are correctly.

Oh and in the magaine article they remove rust off a mid 70s Pontiac header and does a heck of a job getting the inside and out.

OK,just trying to help with suggestions. Since I've done some frame-offs with my friends I thought I'd offer some ideas but you obviously want to do it a particular way, so good luck, more power to you and sorry I asked.

Back