You can type here any text you want

To Much Boost

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

nhdecarli

Hello, forgive my ignorance first time messing with a turbo. 1997 GN, family car been sitting 15 years, 18k miles, engine light is on, code I believe to be 31 which is wastegate fail/overboost? Seems to run as should otherwise.
I disconnected the wastegate arm, pulls outward with easy, but resistance as I would expect for 13lbs ( i beleve I read) and the other end seems to move freely within the tube.
I replaced ( with non OEM hose) the 3 vacuum lines, using the factory Tee. I beleiev I have them re-connected correctly. Straight side of the "T" down to the wastegate, and top port of the solenoid. the other "off shoot" of the hoses to the bottom. I re-usewd the 90 and short piece of hose. Reset the engine light, and same thing. 15lbs+ boost and through the code again. Any suggestions moving forward? Thank you in advance!

Does the puck move freely w/ the actuator disconnected, or is that what you said?

15lbs+ boost and through the code again
So how do you know it's 15#?
If you are relying on the dash gauge, you could be well on your way to learning how to change head gaskets.........Or worse.
Suggest you find someone familiar with these cars before you are in deep :poop:
Have you done a COMPLETE freshening of the fuel system?

It could be the solenoid is roached maybe?

I know with low miles you wanna key it that way so a boost gauge is probably not a visual you want in the cockpit area but consider adding one and hiding it under the dash but with wire extensions so you can pull it out, tuck in A pillar to dash or above radio to dash groove, test run then put it back under dash.

Like Chuck said the dash boost gauge isn't calibrated perfectly.

18k miles, if it's in good shape you got a valuable jem.

Back