Rusty Tools

dart21

Dumb question, but I have to ask: I keep my tools in a military mechanic/engineer bag (made of canvas) inside my trunk. Problem: tools are getting rusty. How can I avoid this problem? Is there a special tool bag I can get, or tool box, to prevent rust? :confused:

ive got mine in a plastic box and no moisture yet. maby if you still have problems you can go buy some selica jel, desicant, or activated alumina. these things soak up moisture. can be found at an automotive paint store... its the same stuff found in the box when you buy a new pair of shoes. when writing this it reminds me of the episode of seinfeld when kramer stole all those packs of desicant from all the shoeboxes... :biggrin:

Robert Kastle said:
I keep mine in a "Big Mouth" cloth tool bag from Sears. No rust, although they are never cleaned.
I will check this bag out at Sears. Still a bit confused as to why your cloth bag would be any different than mine. Could your bag be made of a moisture resistant material, or does it seal better?

chrisgarrett said:
Are they cheap no-name tools?
Some are; The rest are Stanley or Craftsman. Anyhow, I went to Sears and found a 17 in. Craftsman plastic tool box. Priced at $14 bucks. Got $10 bucks off when I signed up for a Sears Card. I cleaned up the tools and lubricated them with 'Pro-Long.' Now they are almost as good as new. I will maintenance them more often to avoid the rust. Thanks to all.

you really shouldnt need to cary any tools anyway. these cars rairly break down... :biggrin: i just always remember to bring my cell phone... :biggrin:

oddfire6 said:
you really shouldnt need to cary any tools anyway. these cars rairly break down... :biggrin: i just always remember to bring my cell phone... :biggrin:
I hear you, I don't necessarily carry them for that purpose, Hell, I hardly drive the Buick, but I do keep them in the car to bolt stuff on once in a while. I also have a Caprice 9c1 I play with.

The Buick is just an attention whore. When it breaks down, just have it towed and let it sit in the garage for a few days. Drive another car instead. Gotta put the Buick in timeout when it is misbehavin, can't just work on it the minute it breaks.

All I carry is flat and philips screwdriver pliers and a 5/16 wrench for the battery also a flashlight. It all fits in the center console. Any more tools needed than that call a tow truck, mine hasnt broke down in the 6 months ive had it knock on wood.

dart21 said:
Does the plastic prevent condensation?

Actually it will hold moisture, If you want to draw the moisture away from them a wood box is what you want.

AJ

$1987 GN$ said:
Actually it will hold moisture, If you want to draw the moisture away from them a wood box is what you want.

AJ
Haven't seen many woodened Tool Boxes out there. :frown:

I guess I don't understand this thread. I've had tools and kept some in my cars for the past 45 years and I have never had them rust. :confused:

dart21 said:
Haven't seen many woodened Tool Boxes out there. :frown:

Check out Bass Pro Shops or Cabela they have some wood boxes for black powder. I have a couple of them for work related tools.