SBC single turbo need info/links please

BandAid

Keyboard Bully
Tossing around the idea of a SBC in a G Body ,need info /links and any insight that you may have ...thanks much...
just looking for a good starting point /block, headers,intake etc... :cool: :cool:

First of all

HP goal???? That will be the starting point. I can give about all the info you need tomorrow night.

Dusty Bradford said:
First of all

HP goal???? That will be the starting point. I can give about all the info you need tomorrow night.
DB ,Sorry I was getting in the shower to get out the door for work and thought of a bunch of things that should have been included...
HP 600-700 low(street) boost single turbo prefered
block that will fit with out many modes to car
intake that will fit with minimal mods
Seen a few F bods turboing their 305 motors seemed pretty simple ,but would like 350 / 383 motor...

thanks for your help..
Dennis :biggrin:

Will this be aftermarket EFI controlled or a carb set-up?

A friend is doing this same thing with his Regal now. He's using a stock 4 bolt 350 Chevy block .030 over, Scat steel 3.75 stroke crank with 6 inch eagle rods and Je pistons. It will use a blow thru carb so he's using Vortec heads with an edelbrock intake and stock exhaust manifolds. He will build the crossover pipe from the manifolds to the turbo. Turbo is a T76.

What I would suggest for your goals is stick with a 3.48 stroke with either a 5.7 or 6 inch rod. This will open up your piston choices so you won't have any problem finding a piston to get your compression in the 8.25-1 or 8.5-1 range for pump gas. Any head will meet your goals. You can run any aluminum head or even a cast head like Dart's iron eagle. If you want to keep it fuel injected just buy the Edelbrock Victor E EFI intake and the fuel rails. You can then bolt a mustang style throttle body to a plenum like Precision carries and run a pipe from your frontmount to the throttle body just like a V6 car. All of it will fit under the stock hood. ;) The easiest thing for exhaust would be cast iron manifolds. Plenty of older turbo kits used cast iron manifolds and they work fine. If you want headers then you'll have to fab them yourself or get with turbonova (Brian Macy) on this board and have him build you a set.

The chevy block will fit right into any g-body. If you have a V6 car then you will need new motor mounts for the engine and frame. Any Monte, Regal, Cutlass mount will work. I am running the solid mounts from moroso. I am also using the stock crossmember. Not a crossmember from a turbo V6 car, but a regular crossmember from a plain Regal or Monte. Any Chevy transmission will sit right down on it.

Any thing else?? :biggrin:

WOW thanks for the great write up....

What do you think of this setup ,seems to be a lot of guys talking about it over at TurboMustangs,,
http://www.racingjunk.com/post/432314/classifiedad.html

Also while cleaning out my dads house I found a set of Cast iron headers from his 1975 Corvette ,was either the L82 or L48 motor ,the headers collect in the centers ( x x v x x) kind of a picture..and both face staight down,you think these might be something to hang onto...

Yes would rather have fuel injection

I saw that engine. Looks like a great deal for the package. If you have the $$$ to spring for it then it's a nice piece. For your goals it's overkill but would be good to 1000hp or so.

Hold on to those manifolds. They might work for you. You will have to wait until the motor is in the car to make sure what will and won't fit though.

Since you want EFI then the Victor E EFI intake will work for you. You will be able to face the plenum/throttle body forward so the charge pipes will closely resemble a turbo buick.

If you need more info just let me know.

dusty, i have an 87 we4 i am going to go turbo sbc with it. i have a 9:1 comp 377 with brodix track1 heads. i am thinking about going with the holley stealth ram and a fast system. i have been reading posts on turbomustangs about guys using corvette c4 headers and building pipes to a flowmaster y pipe then bolt the turbo on there.i am thinking about using the 4276 turbo.do you have any suggestions on this setup as far as headers, injector size or any other suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.i am wanting around 800 horse power or whatever it takes to try to run a 5.99 in the 1/8.thanks in advance for your help.and by the way you have an awesome car. thanks, daniel

daniel said:
dusty, i have an 87 we4 i am going to go turbo sbc with it. i have a 9:1 comp 377 with brodix track1 heads. i am thinking about going with the holley stealth ram and a fast system. i have been reading posts on turbomustangs about guys using corvette c4 headers and building pipes to a flowmaster y pipe then bolt the turbo on there.i am thinking about using the 4276 turbo.do you have any suggestions on this setup as far as headers, injector size or any other suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.i am wanting around 800 horse power or whatever it takes to try to run a 5.99 in the 1/8.thanks in advance for your help.and by the way you have an awesome car. thanks, daniel

The motor should be fine. I also have Track 1's on my car. Their D-port exhaust should match up with the C4 headers but I'm not familiar with the design of these headers. I'm thinking they are similiar to a block hugger. If this is the case it should work but the crossover pipes might have to be run under the frame which could cause a ground clearance problem. I think they may could be tucked near the control arms to keep them out of the way though. If I was more familiar with these headers I might be more help.

83# injectors should be big enough but 96# would give you more breathing room. The intake should be fine also. FAST all the way, I've been more than pleased with my XFI system and service from Cal at Hartline Performance.

Which compressor wheel does this 42/76 have? It may be too small for your goals and something like a PT-88 would be better for that size motor. Spool up is not an issue with the V8 but you do have watch the turbine and housing size. The V8's can have a problem with backpressure with smaller turbo's which will limit your performance.

dusty, thanks for your help. i am not sure about specs on the 42/76 or any other turbo. it was a suggestion from one of my buddies. the c4 headers are like a block hugger. i seen pics of guys using these headers turned upside down but i did not know if you knew anything about them. thanks, daniel

O.K. I wasn't thinking about upside down. That should work also if other's are doing it. Just look for the thickness of the flanges and tubing. I like at least a 3/8 flange and 16 gauge tubing. A thinner flange will work but might run into sealing problems.

daniel said:
dusty, thanks for your help. i am not sure about specs on the 42/76 or any other turbo. it was a suggestion from one of my buddies. the c4 headers are like a block hugger. i seen pics of guys using these headers turned upside down but i did not know if you knew anything about them. thanks, daniel
Post a link so we can see these headers/manifolds ....thanks :wink:

BandAid said:
Post a link so we can see these headers/manifolds ....thanks :wink:
bandaid, sorry but i am computer illiterate and dont know how to post links or anything for that matter. i just did some searching on turbomustangs.com

Dusty Bradford said:
O.K. I wasn't thinking about upside down. That should work also if other's are doing it. Just look for the thickness of the flanges and tubing. I like at least a 3/8 flange and 16 gauge tubing. A thinner flange will work but might run into sealing problems.
dusty, thanks again for your help. i think i am just going to try to find someone to build me some headers. do you have anybody that you would suggest. thanks, daniel

With you being in Dallas there's probably 3 chassis shops within 30 minutes of you. I highly recommend Parker Chassis down in Columbus though. He did a great job on my roll cage and Richie Kibler took his car to him from North Carolina for headers and crossover along with some other things.

Dusty Bradford said:
With you being in Dallas there's probably 3 chassis shops within 30 minutes of you. I highly recommend Parker Chassis down in Columbus though. He did a great job on my roll cage and Richie Kibler took his car to him from North Carolina for headers and crossover along with some other things.
dusty, thanks again for the reply. i am going to call a guy named joey bell out in woodstock and see what he can do. i know he is real big with the mustang guys out here. if i dont have him do it i will give parker chassis a call.and i am also going to look into an 88mm turbo like you suggested. thanks, daniel