Schaffer 20w/50 Oil ??

scot w.

GNSperformance.com
Well I was at our local roundtrack supply shop and got to talking about oil and lube and they mentioned that they sell Schaffer Oil. They went on to talk about some of the details of schaffer oils & additives. Schaffer oil 20w/50 racing oil is designed for use with flat tappet cams. I plan on giving this oil a shot this next oil change and see how well it works. If anyone had tried this oil please let us know how well it worked. It's cheaper that Royal Purple and suposed to be just as good if not better.

Here is the link to there site: Schaeffer Oil | Supreme 7000 Synthetic Racing Oil

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET

Manufacturer: Schaeffer Mfg. Company
Address: 102 Barton Street
Address St. Louis, MO 63104

Emergency Response Number:
314-865-4105 (24-hour emergency
number) or
800-325-9962

SECTION 1 – PRODUCT INFORMATION
Chemical Fami ly: Petroleum Hydrocarbons and Additives Trade Name: #705 Supreme 7000 Synthetic
Plus

Racing Oi l SAE 20W-50

Formula: Proprietary Mixture

SECTION 2 – HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS
Exposure Limits
TVL PEL

COMPONENTS-CHEMICAL NAMES AND COMMON
NAMES

CAS
Number
%
Ppm mg/m3 ppm mg/m3
Zinc Alkyldithiophosphate Confidential 0.5-1.5 NE NE
Organomolybdenum complex of organic esters
Specific Chemical Identity Withheld (trade secret)
<1 10 15

Mixture of Distillates,(petroleum), hydrotreated heavy
paraffinic and Distillates,(petroleum) of solvent dewaxed
heavy paraffinic
64742-54-7,
64742-65-0,
64742-88-1
70-72 5 5

Polyalphaolefin Synthetic Base Fluids 68037-01-4 16-20 5 5

Section 3 – PHYSICAL DATA
Boiling Point: >600ÿF/315.5ÿC Specif ic Gravity: .87
Vapor Pressure (mm,
Hg):
<.1 % Volat ile: Not Determined
Vapor Density (Air = 1): Not Determined Evaporation Rate: (=1) Not Determined
Solubi lity in Water: Negligible pH: Not Applicable
Appearance and Odor: Blue green color, petroleum odor.

SECTION 4 - FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARD DATA
Flash Point (Method) ÿF/ÿC: 465ÿF/204.56ÿC
C.O.C.
(ASTM D-92)
Flammability Limits UEL & LEL ----Not Determined
Extinguishing Media: Carbon dioxide foam, dry chemical foam, sand, earth, waterfog.
Special Fire Fight ing Procedures: For fires involving this material, do not enter any enclosed or confined space without protective
equipment including self-contained breathing apparatus.
Unusual Fire & Explosion Hazards: Dense black smoke.

SECTION 5 - REACTIVITY HAZARD DATA
STABILITY [X] STABLE [ ]UNSTABLE Hazardous Decomposition [ ] WILL [X] WILL NOT
OCCUR
Conditions to Avoid: High heat, high energy ignition sources
Incompat ibility (Mat. to avoid): Strong oxidizers and reducers.
Hazardous Decomposition Products: Oxides of carbon, sulfur oxides, aldehydes and other products of incomplete combustion.
Conditions to Avoid: None

SECTION 6 - HEALTH HAZARD DATA
Threshold Limit Value and Sources: 5.0/mg/m3 for oil mist. OSHA & ACGIH.
Acute Effects of Overexposure:
Ingest ion: Nausea and Diarrhea.
Eye Contact: Irritation and redness to eyes
Skin Contact : Prolonged and repeated contact with the skin can cause irritation and redness to skin.
Inhalation: Vapors can be given off under high heat conditions excessive breathing of vapors can cause irritation of the
respiratory tract.

CHRONIC EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE: Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause skin irritation.
Emergency and First Aid Procedures:
Swallowing: If conscious give 2 glasses of water to drink. Do not induce vomiting. Seek medical attention immediately.
Skin: Wash skin thoroughly with soap and water. Launder contaminated clothing. Seek medical attention if irritation
develops.
Inhalation: Remove victim to fresh air. If breathing is labored administer oxygen. If breathing has stopped start artificial
respiration immediately.
Eyes: Flush eyes with clear, cool, clean water for 15 minutes. Seek medical attention immediately

SECTION 7 – SPILL OR LEAK PROCEDURES
Environmental Impact: This material is not expected to present any environmental problems other than those associated with oil
spills. If spilled into a watercourse, call the Coast Guard Toll Free No. 800-424-8802.
Procedures To Be Taken If Material Is Released or Spil led: Absorb spills with absorbent clay or other suitable material. Keep
out of sewers or watercourses. Advise authorities if product has entered courses by diking or impounding.
Waste Disposal Method: Dispose of at an approved waste or disposal site facility in accordance with all applicable federal, state and
local laws and regulations. This product is not considered to be an RCRA hazardous waste.

SECTION 8 – SPECIAL PROTECTION INFORMATION
Respiratory Protection: None required under ordinary conditions of use.
Ventilat ion: Local exhaust to capture vapor or mists if necessary.
Eye Protection: Splash goggles or face shield when eye contact may occur.
Protective Clothing: Oil resistant or chemical resistant gloves. Chemical resistant apron if needed to avoid contaminating
regular clothing.
Date Prepared: 05/14/2008 OF-1049 Rev. (1999)

Scot W.

20/50 :eek: a little thick for these cars no????:confused:

Kinda depends on how the engine is built. You shouldn't need that heavy of an oil unless your engine is very loose or pretty worn. If you decide to use it and don't really need it you'll be fine but I would let it warm up before you drive it.

Its a very good oil, I use the 20-50 in my motorcycle, Valv. VR1 10-30 racing in the Buick, by all means use it, the only downside is you need to buy from a dealer, you just can't get it anywhere.

Ron

The best oil your ever going to find!! Its hard to find because its a small company and dont spend alot on advertising. Its very big in the industrial and agriculture areas. I would recommend it over roy purp and mobil 1.

Racing oils have very little to no detergent in them whatsoever and that is the or one of the main reasons that it is not recommended for the street, in addition to generally having more than what's allowed of zinc content. And I am not dissing Shaefer's products, only pointing out something that has been noted in the past on oil & ZDDP discussions that we have had on this forum and others. A lot of racing motors are pulled down and checked every to every few runs.

the circle track guys like shaffers oil for there durability. if you want to run some oil that will free up some ponies try lucas racing synthetics oil .. i have seen it gain as mutch as 10 to 15 hp on the dyno more than once.

danny

Gary, on the Valv. racing oil you need to stay with the gray bottle only, not the other one which is blue I think, you are good to go with the VR1 in the GRAY bottle.

Ron

Glad to see this getting some reviews! This oli is synthetic therefore it isn't as hard on start up's as a conventional 20w/50 would.

This oil was tested right along side with Lucas lubricants and in a circle track rear end a rearend would only get around 4 races out of it using Lucas, With the Schaffer they are getting a whole season out of it...

On the Zinc levels, I was told It's LOADED with zinc! and the exact level of zinc is confidential.

On warming up the car: It's always good practice to let your turbo regal or Any turbo car warm up first before driving it regaurdless of whaat oil you have. Getting in and driving a turbo car cold can cause problems.

I will more than likely be carying this oil and it's lubricants if it holds up to what everyone has said.

Scot W.

The term confidential and it's application would concern me. Also, they used oil in a rear end for a test, or rear end specific fluid? And all Lucas products may not be what they are cracked up to be. I know that the Lucas power steering fluid & restorer works great.

Here's a little story. My old employer at the machine shop I worked at used to run super gas with a small block chevy. I can't remember if it was a 383 or a 400 but it had a very heavy forged steel 400 crank in it. He is high school buddys with Larry Morgan (pro stock driver) and Larry was sponcered by castrol at the time and Dave got as much castrol oil as he wanted. Every 1 or 2 passes the main bearings had to be replaced because of the weight of crank was kissing the bearings at high rpm. One day at the track he decieded to talk to some of the other racers about what oils they were running. One guy told him to try Kendall and see how that does. With the kendall he went from 1-2 passes to 5-10 passes which ended up saying something to him about the qualitys of oil. During the summer sometime a farmer came to the shop to see about getting the motor in his combine rebuilt. He said it was knocking pretty hard and wasen't sure if it would make it through harvest. We gave him a price and at the time he said it was too much and he was going to have to chance it. Well later on that winter after harvest the farmer returned to repair the motor and we asked him if he made through the whole season or not. He replied yes and i can't remember how many acres he said it was but it was alot. Well of course we had to know how or what he did to make it survive so long and he told us he started running schaffers in it. Well Dave got the dealers # from the farmer and asked if the made a racing oil and they did, so he ordered a case and and put it in the car. Not only did the bearings survive they lasted though out the entire next racing season. After that he started recommending and stocking it at the shop, not to mention we used it in all our heavy duty trucks. Sorry if this was a little long but i wanted to share my experiance and my reasoning for supporting this brand. Brian

kirban 2 cents worth

Ten years ago their was no oil issues......if you want to keep things simple use whatever conventionall or snythetic oil designed for your car in the proper weight and simply add one bottle of zddplus. Can't get any easier than that. Considering we sell direct to several cam companies Isky & Crower to name two that have been around 40-50 years plus their must be a reason for them to buy and sell our product. (Also did private label for Erson cams)

A engine shop that builds 1,000 hp race engines has torn down engines even with roller set ups and discovered our product has shown significant reduction in scuffing and wear issues.

Claiming they have zinc does mean they have zddp zinc is just one part of it.

I am not bad mouthing nay oil products simply pointing out our 4 ounce bottle lets you use whatever oil you have been using under the SM category.

As for being a Buick owner the person behind the actual product has the largest turo buick collection of cars & parts in the world. Kinda makes sense he would know what he is doing.

We also have Don Garlits now behind the product as well.

Interesting fact: my source samples original break in oil form a 2007 Corvette Z06 from the factory fill it contained 3,000 ppm of zddp...it was then filled with Mobile One that under the SM specs has under 1,000 ppm.....this guy did this at 400 miles which is probably way before breakin took place.

My source behind the product feels in a few years we are going to see engines not going 100,000 miles because of wear issues etc....time will tell. Member long time ago doctors thought smoking was good for you....

The fact other oil companies are pushing zinc now proves that their is an issue. Doubt any company will tell you how much zddp is in their oil.

These major companies I sell to never heard of me so that means the product had to stand on its own merit. Eastwood is one of our big clients so is Moss Motors which is probably the largest in the British resto car market.

We have over a dozen tech briefs etc to back everything up.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Like Gary Wells said the issue been addressed many times and virtually every possible oil has been brought up from Old cars oil to oil available from Walmart.
Our product is available from several Turbo sources.

The term confidential and it's application would concern me. Also, they used oil in a rear end for a test, or rear end specific fluid? And all Lucas products may not be what they are cracked up to be. I know that the Lucas power steering fluid & restorer works great.
It was rearend specific fluid!

Here's a little story. My old employer at the machine shop I worked at used to run super gas with a small block chevy. I can't remember if it was a 383 or a 400 but it had a very heavy forged steel 400 crank in it. He is high school buddys with Larry Morgan (pro stock driver) and Larry was sponcered by castrol at the time and Dave got as much castrol oil as he wanted. Every 1 or 2 passes the main bearings had to be replaced because of the weight of crank was kissing the bearings at high rpm. One day at the track he decieded to talk to some of the other racers about what oils they were running. One guy told him to try Kendall and see how that does. With the kendall he went from 1-2 passes to 5-10 passes which ended up saying something to him about the qualitys of oil. During the summer sometime a farmer came to the shop to see about getting the motor in his combine rebuilt. He said it was knocking pretty hard and wasen't sure if it would make it through harvest. We gave him a price and at the time he said it was too much and he was going to have to chance it. Well later on that winter after harvest the farmer returned to repair the motor and we asked him if he made through the whole season or not. He replied yes and i can't remember how many acres he said it was but it was alot. Well of course we had to know how or what he did to make it survive so long and he told us he started running schaffers in it. Well Dave got the dealers # from the farmer and asked if the made a racing oil and they did, so he ordered a case and and put it in the car. Not only did the bearings survive they lasted though out the entire next racing season. After that he started recommending and stocking it at the shop, not to mention we used it in all our heavy duty trucks. Sorry if this was a little long but i wanted to share my experiance and my reasoning for supporting this brand. Brian
Very similar to the storys iv'e heard too! Nothing but spectacular!!!

I will be selling the Schaffer oils & lubricants after I test it myself in my oun car. I will keep everyone posted on the results.

Scot W.

kirban 2 cents worth

Ten years ago their was no oil issues......QUOTE]
Dennis EXACTLY! That is why i'm going to try an oil that has been around since the 1800's and hasn't changed since then. That should mean that if the oil of the past hadn't of changed there would'nt be a oil problem today.

Yes, your product works! BUT that doesn't mean EVERYONE has to have it for there cars regaurdless of there oil. If they run a conventional oil - yes the ZDDP is perfect for it But, If I can find a Oil that still has the zinc content and additives why not run just that instead of buying the zddp and adding that added cost onto every oil change!

I have used ZDDP on customers cars with regular oil and it works fine!

It's using it with oil's that have the correct addatives in it is where I see no use in the extra cost.

That is just my thoughts,

Scot W.