Seating the rings???

texasturbo

How long does it usually take before the rings get seated? What has been someones best method for breaking them in on a fresh rebuild???What were some of the problems that were encountered if any and what was the remedy if any?????

Specs: 87 turbo block, .040 over Speed Pro pistons, .040 over moly rings:)

I have tried breaking them in easy and hard. EVERY motor I broke in hard smoked for a long time. EVERY engine I broke in easy for over 500 miles never smoked.

The way I look at it, if you break it in easy you are going to have a better chance of everything seating properly. I just don't think you can go wrong by doing it easy over about 500 miles or more.

Regards
ks

I'd say take it easy for the first 500 miles. Spend some time half peddling from 20 to 70 mph and let coast back down and repeat. This will cause the rings to seat.

To add to what John just posted...Keep the car in second or third gear when you do that to use the engine for braking...That also puts a load on the rings and helps them seat in...If you have it in OD, then you don't have the engine braking to help(I think it's called the overrun clutch or something)...Just accelerate, then let off the gas once the rpms are up high and let it decelerate, and repeat...Also, if you can find some steep hilly roads, put the car in second gear and let the car coast down the hill...

do whatever the builder tells you to do, if you were the builder , break it in easy. I break both mine in hard, and my stage motor will prolly see the strip by its 5th mile.

Cylinder pressure is what seats the rings. If it's built w/ the proper clearences, there shouldn't be any problem running it hard after the initial start up and oil change. I've never seen a dyno be easy on a fresh motor nor a strip car make several miles of easy passes before the engine is pushed to it limits. This of course is my take, and i've never had any problems. Brian GSCA

Rings will NEVER seat unless the engine is loaded fairly hard. The accelerate/coast back down idea is the best...