Serious Problems

BradWE4

I am having engine problems with my new TTA. I bought the car last week and am having problems with buring oil, it is intermittent. You can't even notice it at idle, WOT, or crusing but right when you get on the gas and at about 3000-3500 rpm's blue puffs. The person I bought it from said the engine had about 2100-2400 miles on it and I drove it back 700 miles so I thought by the time I got it home it would have been broken in. It burned a little oil when I test drove it but not enough to make me think it could have been a ring going so I dissmised it assuming it was from sitting for so long. Could it be the turbo or something more serious?
Thanks,
Brad

I agree sounds like a turbo. When you drove it 700 miles how much oil did it use over that period?

brad,

I too would look at the turbo. check both the exhaust and compresor sides for oil.

I recentley purchased an 86 gn that smoked badly after it warmed up. Under boost it looked like the car was on fire. I pulled the i/c out to check for oil and found none. Then i pulled the downpipe and elbow off and found they were full of black sludge.

I suspect you need a turbo, or rebuild. I see them all the time on ebay for $100-125 used. I posted a message in the parts wanted section of this site and several replies. i bought a low milage turbo with agj.wastegate for $125. Problem solved!!!

just my .02's

I pulled the turbo last night and replaced it with my known good PTE-51 and it still smoked so my guess is a bad ring. It's funny though when I checked the exhaust pipes by covering both pipes with cloth looking for some of oily residue to show up on them all I found was black residue from the outside of the pipe. The car runs great but having a great looking car that is fast as hell but puts blue smoke is unacceptable.
Anymore thoughts on what it could be?

how long did you drive it with the new turbo?? it will take a while to burn out oil in the i/c or exhast. it took me about 15 mins, then it stopped.