Serious race with turbo porsche on highway..

blackshoebox

Staff member
So after racing at the track last night, and putting up my best ET and mph to date(11.8@115, on bfg 275/50/15's, with 24 psi, pump fuel and alky with a splash of c-16) I get on the highway in the middle of a pack of turbo imports, two turbo integra's, and turbo hatchback civic, And a 1989 wide body 911 turbo porsche that had all the free mods, and bigger turbo(sick car). So the honda's wanted some, so i played around par throttling the car most of the time, and just walk all over these guys, like im talking buses, it was ugly.:cool:

So then just as i finished destroying this turbo integra, who i gave a large jump.(lets say 3-5 cars);) The porsche comes flying up on my bumper. So i slow down to about 45'ish and look over, and sure enough he is in third gear and ready to go. So we both floor board it, and to the guys surprise i begin walking away, I had about 4 cars on him at about 125, when i hit overdrive, and then he began gaining on me, and crip by at about 145, where i shut down and checked the scan master and scared myself,when i confirmed that i let of at 147! :eek: So from 45-125, or until my third gear ran out i had him by a solid 3-4 cars, and he wasn't pulling until i had to go into overdrive.

So to my surprise he wanted to go again, so we did the same thing and the result was the same, but when i hit overdrive this time, my crossover pipe blew wide open, i'm guessing from the pressure, which registered a huge knock(like 19 degrees) and i immediately got out of it and stayed out of boost(thinking i had blown a head gasket, but found out this morning that the car had blown the crossover pipe wide open, right were the left and right side header meet, basically in the middle of the undercarage).

This race, to me was the ultimate kill/race, i have always wanted to race a turbo porsche, since i hope one day to own one of these amazing cars.

On a serious side note, i remember a similar kill story with a newer moddle turbo porchse(which the one i raced last night, has beaten, from what the owner says.) And i believe, the the story went that the guy walked away and kept pulling the porsche even on the bigger end of things(basically overdrive in the buicks). I am going to have to take back my arguement that a mid 11's buick, just like mine, could hold off a turbo porsche like i posted in that thread, (Raven and I went at it, a little). My car was in kill mode, and i did pull the porsche hard until i hit overdrive, but after that he did make up the ground and would have past me and walked away fairly easily, after about 145. I think to hold off a turbo porsche on the big end, you would need a mid 10's buick, with a huge turbo, and some more suspension mods. My car was feeling a little wobbly at those speeds and my car sits low and has bilsteins on it.

Overall it was a wild night, and my car is running pretty good from what i can tell.;) :D

Shoebox

Awesome Kill!

Nice kill man!
Taking him from a stop is imaginable, but the thing that makes it all the more surprising is doing it from a roll!
What exactly are the mods on your GN??

Attaboy

Great kill! That whole "Turbo civics and Turbo Integra and Hatchback This.. Turbo that" sceen must have been AWSOME! I also have a dream of spanking a turbo porsche but from a light. Think I'll give em the ol' "Hey buddy, why don't you show me what you spent all that money on". :D

How's the new track hooking? What type of 60' were you getting.

Get back to me on the tread I started on the Florida area.

Later.

awesome kill man...i bet he sh!t his pants when this black brick car was pulling on his turbo money car...nice job letting the ricers know who's boss on the streets too:cool:

BUICK 4 life:D

You KNOW you have a STTTRRROOONNGGG Motor when you blow out EXHAUST pipes before head gaskets!!!

Wicked kill man!

I was with shoebox when this all went down, and it was F***ing amazing.....There's no other way to put it.. The porsce sounded nasty...it was a far from stock 911/930 slantnose widebody turbo... we were also being swormed by turbo imports too, I thought we were in a scene from the slow & delirious...when this around 2 mile stretch of 95 opened up with nobody on it...then it was on...

Shoebox....Thanks for making me sh!t my pants....

The King

Good Kill, but 125mph in drive on an 11.8 car??? On my old combo I was going through the traps @119mph just about bouncing the rev limiter on a low 11 sec run. What RPM were you at???

Rpm's...

Hey this is shoebox on the Kings PC...

Im guessing when i went into fourth i was around 5300-5500 rpm, at rought 115-120 mph, i got a little knock on the shift, so when i hit recall on the scanmaster after the first pass, the mph was 121 mph where i got the knock, it also showed a speed of 147 where i also had 1 degree of knock. Wasn't really paying much attention the RPM's i was watching the road, and the scanmaster for any knock..

"What exactly are the mods on your GN??"

te-44, thdp, stretch intercooler, champion heads with port match intake, RJC powerplate, .20 over, with j/e pistons, 2800 stall l/u converter, posten headers, and smc alky kit. I was running reds, 108 chip, with 009's.

The runs at the track, were on a 275/50/15 bfg drag radial, so i was running out of gearing a little bit, think the car has 117 in it with a taller tire.

As for the race with the porsche..the second i hit overdrive it was only a matter of seconds that the porsche started realing me back in, but before that i was out him and he was not pulling..

Shoebox

Shoebox i have to say you a frikkin nut to do a buck fifty in a regal but i can appreciate your having the balls to do it . Anyway id say his gearing is going to give him an advantage at those speeds , lets face it those cars are made for the Autobahn , ohh and their not cheap . You could buy a tow vehicle ,trailer and spares for That $$$$$$$$$$;)

Galoush but oh what you get for it. An amazing automobile with a rock solid heritage of racing and fantastic cars. 911's are also the most reliable sports car built supposedly. I'm just disappointed that Porsche is building an SUV. I never thought they'd sink to that but alas it's true.

911 nice but

Yeah its nice , but i dont have 120k burning a hole in my pocket. Im used to the Big trunk& enough room for four trouble makers+me if i like . Cant afford to break my Bu let alone a 911.;)

Quite understandable, but if I did have the money and if I had my Ferrari or eight I'd definately buy one. Just one of those things. I love all types of automobiles and that happens to be one of them.

Great kil man! The Porsche is definitely a tough opponent! A real beast in the triple digit MPH! :D