Set the brake switch

kidreynolds

I saw where the brake switch was causing the TCC not to lockup so I thought this could be my problem. I see there are two switches down there but I really don't know how they are sup post to be set. could someone tell me how they are sup post to be adjusted

Thanks
Brent

The bottom one is for the brake lights, the top one for Cruise. All you have to do is adjust them until the plunger on the end is against the back of the brake pedal and it is pressed in (the plunger). Then make sure to measure across the terminals where the electrical connector plugs in to make sure you are getting continuity through the switch with the pedal in the normal positon and an open when the pedal is pressed.

Darrell Jackson
'87 Stock GN

How far does it have to be pushed in and the bottom one on my sticks if it goes to far in. And I am not sure what you are saying about measuring across the terminals. My cruise doesn't work either so maybe this could be my problem

Thanks
Brent

Normally with a plunger type switch all you have to do is adjust it enough until you are able to read Zero OHMS across the 2 terminals on the switch with the plunger pressed in. To see the terminal just unplug the large electrical connection to the switch and attach the 2 meter leads of an ohmmeter across the 2 terminals. You can then adjust the switch in or out as needed, just make sure the reading is Zero OHMS when adjusting the switch against the pedal. If you go too far out with the plunger you will get an "OPEN" indication on the meter. All we are looking for is when the pedal is in the normal position is the Zero ohms (closed switch) and when the pedal is pressed an open indication. If you have no meter then you can get a continuity test light and do the same. If the plunger still sticks when you are at a minimum adjustment, look to see if it has some "gunk" around the plunger, if so get some electrical cleaner and spray it around the plunger to see if that helps. If not you might need to get another switch. Yes, a bad top switch can cause the cruise not to work. There are other indications we need to know to tackle this, however--- such as do you get the cruise light to come on

Darrell.

The cruise light never comes on but my main priority is the TCC because I get really bad gas mileage and @ 70 mph my car is about 3200 rpms.

Thanks
Brent

Go ahead with the checkout of the switch then for them both. The bottom one for the brake lights is the one I think that passes the signal to the TCC.

The switch is normally closed when the brake pedal is in the upright (no brake condition). When the pedal is pressed the switch opens due to the plunger not being activated. The vacuum line attached to the switch is for a vacuum dump valve that releases the vacuum in the servo (Cruise control servo) when the brake pedal is released. It is a safety type mechanism so if the brake switch for the cruise fails the car won't accelerate anymore.