You can type here any text you want

Shimming the rear selective washer

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

KEhrhardt

Has anyone shimmed the rear selective washer that sets the clearance for the rear endplay? If so, what material did you use? I have some sheet aluminum that I might be able to cut and shim under the washer. I ordered some rear selective washers from a transmission parts house and they sent the wrong sizes (ordered #5,#6 and got #1,#2 -- all too thin). I need to tighten up about .020" over the current washer. I am tired of ordering, waiting and receiving the wrong parts. :mad: I prolly should contact the vendor to make it right, but I am going to have to wait again dammit. I am going to order from the local GM dealer today. Hopefully they can get it right.

fix

Take another thin washer and grind the snout or what ever it is called (the round locating thingy) and add it to another. I have done this and it will work fine. Or you could post what size you need. I probably have it. Best of luck

KEhrhardt said:
Has anyone shimmed the rear selective washer that sets the clearance for the rear endplay? If so, what material did you use? I have some sheet aluminum that I might be able to cut and shim under the washer. I ordered some rear selective washers from a transmission parts house and they sent the wrong sizes (ordered #5,#6 and got #1,#2 -- all too thin). I need to tighten up about .020" over the current washer. I am tired of ordering, waiting and receiving the wrong parts. :mad: I prolly should contact the vendor to make it right, but I am going to have to wait again dammit. I am going to order from the local GM dealer today. Hopefully they can get it right.

Are you talking about the metal washer that has 3 or 4 "teeth" on the inside? If so let me know what size and I'll see if the couple that I have is what you need, if so I'll mail it to you Monday.

HOW

Thanks Leo. I ordered the #5 (red) and #6(brown) from the local GM dealer over the phone today. He said the #6 maybe discontinued so I won't know if it is available until he calls next week. There is also GMpartsdirect.com that gives the discount price, but the shipping costs on little items will kill you.

HellOnWheels said:
Are you talking about the metal washer that has 3 or 4 "teeth" on the inside? If so let me know what size and I'll see if the couple that I have is what you need, if so I'll mail it to you Monday.

HOW

HOW,
Yeah, that is it. Ideally looking for a thickness of .150" - .154" (#6 Brown). I just ordered two from GM today, should be in next week some time, so don't look too hard. :smile: Thanks for the offer.

K

The old General comes through again! Got the selective washers today, and they are right in tolerance where they should be. :) Sometimes it is easy to forget your local GM dealer for parts. :redface:

Back