You can type here any text you want

Should I go manual brakes on Aerospace's all around?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

disco stu

I have Aerospace 11.5" brakes all around on my car. It has a powermaster, never had a problem with it. It has TONS of braking power, it's quite effortless. I guess you could say it has no pedal feel at all.

My buddy's powermaster gave out, and I was thinking I could just sell him mine and go to manual brakes. That or just put a hydroboost on his car.

Should I go manual, or would I regret it?

Car has done 140, should do 150 or close to it soon.

I am happy with my 85 HB in my 87.

I would consider manual, especially for weight savings. KISS "keep it simple, stupid"

Weight savings? You wouldn't be saving much there.

Nothing is wrong with a properly maintained PM. At your speeds, I would suggest wiring up an indicator LED to make sure that it hasn't blown the fuse for any reason. That's the biggest issue with the PMs - they can have a problem (which usually ends up blowing the fuse) and you don't realize it until the accumulator has lost all it's reserve pressure. At least with a manual setup you wouldn't have to second guess it. I have a buddy who made the switch and doesn't think he gave up much other than a little more pedal effort. I don't think you would regret it either way.

I have vacuum on an aerospace setup just like that, TONS of braking power. Probably too much, going to manual very soon. It's nice when trying to launch, but I worry about getting in a "situation" and locking them up.

If I take the powermaster off my car I'm goin straig to manual. Just gotta decide if I'm takin the powermaster off.

I'm LEANING towards it.

Any other glaring reviews about how you love manual brakes and you'd never go back? :biggrin:

Any other glaring reviews about how you love manual brakes and you'd never go back? :biggrin:

I just made my first passes with manual brakes and started out with low boost just to be safe. I was shocked how easy the car stopped from 140 mph. Just stock disk up front and ford 9 inch big brakes out back.
I don't see any problem when I step up to 150 next.

Okie dokie. Thanks.

There is the peace of mind once you use manuals, you know what to expect. With the stock system it was always in the back of my mind I could all of a sudden have hard pedal without warning and hang on.

John,
What did you end up doing? I am thinking of making the swap myself but I hate to do it since my brakes work so well. Only reason I'm even considering it is everytime I'm at the track I hear at least one person say holy *$&# your still running the powermaster! I may just have the worlds fastest powermaster:biggrin:

I have a wildwood MC and was looking to bolt it up and see how it works with the brass valve adn all. My buddy converted his and has had nothing but problems. First time at the track his rear locked and he off roading at 160mph. Fortunately he made it out without a scratch. Back at the shop he checked everything and the brake bias was not off and pressure was actually low.:confused:

Tough to change a brake system that will row my car down from 170mph without a chute @ 3400+#'s. Had to do it at PRP last year when the pilot chute failed, and that track has a notoriously short shut down.:eek:

Back