You can type here any text you want

Should I run the Stock PCM with low impedance injectors

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gaminoree

87buick gn
Changing ECM

Can you just change a ECM with out doing anything to it. I have 55lbs injectors. Turbo tweak chip. Te45. I think the emc is faulty. I have a stock new one but not sure?????? Thanks alot.

Your PCM (since you say you have 55 pound injectors) is probably modified to power low impedance injectors (stock injectors are high impedance). A 'NEW' PCM is probably not modified to power the low impedance injectors.

Seems like you have two choices: 1) Modify your new PCM and try it, or 2) put high impedance injectors in with the new PCM and try it.

Until a couple years ago, injectors larger than 42 pph were all low impedance, and required a PCM modification. Now, we have available to us a plethora of sources for low impenance injectors which are compaitble with a stock PCM right out of the box.

Pay your money and take your choice ;)

HTH

Thank you for the information. Not sure what injectors I have I know they are 55lbs. Who does mod's to the ECM's? I put the stock one on with no mod's and it seems to be working very well. Would there be a problem if it was not going to work? Thanks again.

Some of the chip makers modify PCMs. Red Armstrong at Quad Air, and Bob Bailey at Bailey engineering do it, I don't remember the others.

The PCM will work for a while and them burn out the injector drivers if you are driving 55 pound injectors with a stock PCM. In other words, Don't use your new PCM until its modified!

Look closely at the injectors for the identifying numbers. Make a note of the numbers that appear on the barrel portion of the injector, and do a search putting just the numbers in the search field. Someone will have posted the numbers and the corresponding fuel volume those injectors will produce. From that, you'll know whether or not its a high or low impedance injector.

Do lots of searches and you'll find experts have already answered your questions. Sometimes our search feature only works with one word, you'll have to be creative and work around that.

Read This thread before you drive any more with your current configuration.

I'm moving your thread to another forum where the experts should be able to guide you to your next step with certitude. :)

lee

Just a warning, I have heard of the ECM actually catching on fire or just being destroyed when you run low impedence injectors on a stock ECM. just a heads up.

GNguy said:
I have heard of the ECM actually catching on fire

I've run the stock ecm til destruction in a controlled manner with a low-Z load, and never approached getting that hot. I've also taken a Syclone to destruction with low-Z injectors, and while the PCB got crispy, again, it didn't catch fire. The highest case temp., I've ever seen was 150dF, and that was in a destructive test.

If one was to run a stock ecm until driver failure, the first signs of it failing would be popping, or going lean at WOT. It's when the PW get long, and the *off* periods short, that the drivers get hot.

And I've driven 300 miles at a time with low Z injectors without any driver failures.

Having an ecm fail in traffic, isn't pretty, so the safe choice is just doing it right, and having the drivers changed, to properly handle the load of the low Z injectors. Last I heard, Bailey Eng was the only one with the proper drivers for making the conversion. There are two types of Peak and Hold drivers, and the proper one has been getting hard to find.

Back