Shoulder sugery

Casey Jensen

Any one had a torn or separated labrum? Also called a slap tear? Going in on the 29th of Nov. what's the recovery time till back to "normal"? I am a farmer in Nebraska and need to back to full speed by march at the latest. What's your experience and recovery time been like?

I had the same surgery two years ago. I had a torn labrum. I was fortunate the level of tear for me turned out to be the least possible. My doctor used a scale from 1-4 and mine was a level 1. It was still painful and bothered me everyday until the surgery. For a level 4 my Dr. said it would require 6 weeks with an immobilized arm and probably another 6 weeks of physical therapy. At level 1 I didn't have to immobilize my arm at all and I was in physical therapy immediately after surgery. I had elbow surgery at the same time and I was playing golf 3 weeks after surgery. Good luck and I hope it isn't too bad.

huntsg said:
I had the same surgery two years ago. I had a torn labrum. I was fortunate the level of tear for me turned out to be the least possible. My doctor used a scale from 1-4 and mine was a level 1. It was still painful and bothered me everyday until the surgery. For a level 4 my Dr. said it would require 6 weeks with an immobilized arm and probably another 6 weeks of physical therapy. At level 1 I didn't have to immobilize my arm at all and I was in physical therapy immediately after surgery. I had elbow surgery at the same time and I was playing golf 3 weeks after surgery. Good luck and I hope it isn't too bad.

That's what bothers me. Even after an MRI, they can't tell me how severe it is. I guess it's hope for the best and expect the worse.

I had a slap tear that required surgery. I can't remember the exact recovery time, but I'm thinking it was on the order of 8 weeks of physical therapy. They will more than likely give you homework in the form of stretching and resistance band exercises. It may not seem like the exercises are doing much, but believe me, they help to regain range of motion. If you don't regain the range of motion on your own, the PT will forcefully stretch it out and that is no fun.

In the end, I am glad that I went through it, as I am now pain free.

Keep on those exercises!

I had my shoulder done in 2010. They went in to make room in the AC joint to free up the tendons and found a tear in the labrum that didn't show on the MRI. I wish I would have done it sooner. Took care of the pain I had for 20 years. Recovery was similar to what others have said. 2 wks in immobilizer sling and 1-2 wks part time in a small sling. And as the others said, do the therapy. It really helps with range of motion.

Do your therapy otherwise you could possibly end up with adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder) that will really set you back.

The rotator cuff muscles help hold the shoulder in its socket throughout range of motion and if they are weak or damaged can reduce sub-acromial space to the point where the tendons traveling under the collarbone area get damaged through friction. The therapy helps reduce the chance of capsular issues and keeps the shoulder lubricated to keep it from stiffening up to the point you can't use it anymore without compensating, etc...

Recovery time is contingent upon degree of tear, any associated additional damage to tendons and/or cartilage, your age, whether you smoke, and how good you are with respect to your therapy exercises after the surgery.

I broke my collarbone and had damage to my labrum, etc.. and was back probably better than before in 10-12 weeks. I was lucky to find a great therapist and am kind of a gym rat anyway so the exercises were somewhat familiar.

Good luck

Thanks all for the replies. After going to an orthopedic and getting an MRI, I have been in contact with my therapist so he can save a spot for me when its time after the surgery. I have had pain for a few years but it seems like this last year the pain has doubled. If this is what the start of 40's, is like, I can't imagine 50's and beyond!