You can type here any text you want

Single plane intake

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

walkmang

Hey guys been a while, I'm starting the tear down of the 4.1 and want to put out a request to anyone. I'm looking for a single plane intake for my blow thru setup, which is like looking for a needle in a haystack. So if anyone can help me locate one or can point me where to look I'd much appreciate the help. There were a few on eBay but i lost the bidding war. ie. Weiand, KB....

When I started doing this it was relatively easy to find a single plane intake for the '79 and later Buick v6. Now that I have had to help locate some for these turbo projects they are all gone. If you can find one "which I have not yet" Offenhauser has a performance Buick v6 intake but only one! The rest will not work
It's part # 6228-c
The people who have them on a shelf or an engine or just laying around in parts is where you will find the Weiand and Kenne-Bell intakes. Weiand discontinued their Buick v6 intakes and KB too.
The stock 4.1L intake is a single plane.

I still have my 4.1 intake and if I use Charlie's method of opening it up, it should perform as good or better than this edelbrock, what ya think?

Even stock without work the 4.1L 4bbl intake will outperform the Edelbrock mid range on up. The Edelbrock intakes are great off idle and lower rpms, they do have a decent amount of runner volume.

When I do the motor rebuild I will more than likely be putting the stock back on, it's coming out this week. Gonna start looking for parts, cam, pistons, to start with.

Attachments

• 1446594991952.jpg
    1446594991952.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 263
TA Performance has the Kenne Bell single plane intake listed in the 2015 catalog on page 41. It is a TA 1215 and it says to call for price. It will be expensive I am sure. I have bought a couple of these intakes cheap on E-Bay by looking every day. I also bought one brand new from Kenne Bell sometime in the 90's. All my intakes are on engines right now. If you can find one it would be better than the 4.1 which is a spread bore bolt pattern. A Weiand like WarWagon has would be great too. I had one of those too, but sold it and never ran it.

I've got 1 open plenum intake with an adapter for a 4 barrel on it. I'm having issues with my internet and phone right now but I can ship it for $225 if you in the lower 48. I'll try to check tomorrow and hopefully everything will be working again then. AT&T sucks, but it's all we have out in the boonys.:mad:

Hey guys been a while, I'm starting the tear down of the 4.1 and want to put out a request to anyone. I'm looking for a single plane intake for my blow thru setup, which is like looking for a needle in a haystack. So if anyone can help me locate one or can point me where to look I'd much appreciate the help. There were a few on eBay but i lost the bidding war. ie. Weiand, KB....
I have a Weiand Smokey Yunick intake #7541 with a Weiand spacer #7471 . Also have a Offy 360. Let me know if interested in either one of the intakes

Nice hanging onto those intake manifolds Ken.
That Weiland intake is a hot item right now in the right groups.

Can you elaborate why the Weiand intake it is now the hot item in the right groups?
Sure and it's simple why: 1. Weiand discontinued producing all intakes for Buick V6. 2. Only someone building a turbo Buick v6 blowhrough style or a performance NA Buick v6 will want the Weiand manifold. Otherwise no one would care or want that intake unless they are a speed parts collector.

Got the motor out and tore down, found my blow by and compression problem. #6 piston and rings. So far everything else looks to be ok...so far

Attachments

• 1446855728043.jpg
    1446855728043.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 1446855750024.jpg
    1446855750024.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 1446855778972.jpg
    1446855778972.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 202
I must be one of the odd people who collected these manifolds when they were a dime a dozen. I have one new Kenne Bell Number 1, two Weiand Smokey Yunick street version 7541's w/adapters (one new), two Weiand Smokey Yunick 7542 air gap race intakes , two Offenhauser 6228C (one new), one new Edelbrock, one new Holley intake and a NOS 4.1 aluminum factory intake. I think the Offy 6228C is the only aftermarket manifold that has ports specific to the 79 up heads. The others need port matched to fit either high port or low port heads. After Smokey Yunick died, his name was removed from the Weiand 7541 manifold and it was marketed as the Xcelerator instead. The Weiand 7542 air gap manifold was phased out after Buick began releasing Stage II parts for racing.

Last edited:
Back