You can type here any text you want

Slow spool

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tim Barnum

I just aquired a 89 TTA with a 60-1 turbo, 218/218 cam, ported heads, big neck intercooler, 40lb injectors. The car still has a stock converter and spools very slow. Should I install the stock turbo to run high 11's or do I need to get a converter and stick with the 60-1 turbo? All I want for know is 11's:D. Thanks Tim

Glad to hear about the purchase. I am one of the other guys in the OKBuicks club w/ a TTA. I would say w/ the combo you have, get a bigger stall and maybe some bigger injectors. I don't know to much about your turbo. If it is any thing like a TE-60, which I think it is, bigger stall will help a ton. I have the TE-60 in my car and I have the Vigilante 3G stall on my and it spools pretty darn quick. But I am no expert on this so I am sure some other people will chime in. Anyhow, good luck and I can't wait to see it!

The 60 turbo has a 4" inlet and a 2" outlet with a 3" down pipe and stock exhaust:mad:. I took it out just now and I can spool it to 5lbs boost with the foot brake on the street. So that may do the trick at the track with the cutout open.

Tim,
Just ran an open dump all the time, I ran mine open all last summer and never got pulled over.. it isn't that loud.
Or try throwing the car in Nuetral and reving the engine while pushing down on the brake, build some brake vacuum should hold some more boost at the line. Also, u might want to try building boost while holding your E brake, it seems to work for me, but I can't get my tires to grip.
~Murt

Stock turbo runs out of steam..those injectors will get ya there static.

A bit mismatched..that big of a cam, bigger turbo, 40 lb injectors ??? , and a stock converter..

Wish you luck on your quest..

The 60 will work with a restalled 12 inch..problem is that cam down in the lower rpm's...That combo needs bigger injectors and a 3200 stall converter. For starters.

But this is my .02

Will a stock turbo be enough to get my car to the 11's? I installed the stock turbo on the car and the boost is at 20lbs with no knock and 101oct. fuel. What boost level will be needed to run the numbers with a good launch and stock turbo?

You'll need probably 112-114 for mph, you'll need a good high 1.5 to low 1.6 60 foot, and enough timing and boost to get you the top end number. 1/8 mile will need to be in the 7.70 range at 90 mph range.

Boost on a stock motor..23-24 1st and second .. c12 race gas..cross your fingers :D

heres a sample ticket..

So with a 1.6 60 foot running these numbers..11's are in. HTH

11.50's have been done on a stock turbo. I couldnt do it tho..but there are plenty articles cars running high 11's with the stocker.

Razor is right.

I did 11.93 @ 113 mph at 16 psi w/stock turbo. I have similar mods to yours (heads, 210/205 cam) and 3.73's. However, I would suggest just getting the right converter for your 60 turbo and 11's will be cake.

Bob

The motor has about 5000 miles on the rebuild. It had studs installed on the mains and heads. It should hold up pretty good I hope:D. Thanks for the info. Tim

Ditto pretty much what everyone else said. I have a TA61 on mine with the stock converter, spool is slow. PTS recommended a 3200-3400 stall FWIW.

20-21psi and 1.62 60ft through a single 3inch exhaust. :cool:

Car saw a best of 116.50mph with the stock turbo (once) and went 115 3 times and then 114 like 200 times.

There was still some left in it, I know It would have gone 11.6 with some more playing. :)

Back