Slushy Anti-Freeze

krom415

Well i went to go start up the buick no in-door parking and it would not turn over checked a few things and noticed my reservoir coolant was slushy opened the radiator cap and slushy in there to I guess my question is did i mess something up by trying to start it that way and what can i do besides waiting for the weather to warm up?

how about a dead battery ??? guess ya don't have a strong enuff antifreez.. even if it were FROZEN it should still start..well the water pump may not turn :eek:

Better check your rad to see if it is near frozen in there as well, if it is you better get the proper mixture of antifreeze/water 70/30 or 50/50 or you well possibly crack your block and more if it gets any colder.

That's not your no-start problem, but you should certainly address it prior to starting...or it's gunna be messy. :)

i put some jumper cables on and after about an hour worth of attempts and monitoring scanmaster for voltage got it to turn over. did see some smoke for about 5 minutes but i think it was overspill at least i hope ..

Maybe the water in the battery froze? I would definatly change the anti-freeze soon, hate to see you crack your block over something that stupid.

18mm wrench, remove belt

start car for short amount of time, allow some heat to get into it, do this a few times and drain the coolant when it is no longer slushy, replace with new, reinstall belt

#1 get that bad antifreeze out!

Who changed it last, and what brand was used?......this should never happen!

Reminds me of when I worked at a Ford dealer. We would use this cheapo-recycled antifreeze that was bought in bulk drums. It smelled like it was already cooked a few times! Anyways, we had two instances where customers engines were ruined from this crap freezing. The freeze plugs didnt pop out, so the blocks cracked...very bad!