Smart turbo purchase, please help me!

dpok69

Dpok69@aol.com
My turbo is shooting oil into the intake. So i think it needs to be rebuilt. But i prefer to take this chance to put on a performance turbo and a convertor (maybe injectors too). Current convertor came of a Normally aspirated regal, actually my whole tranny is too, it sucks. I got screwed when i bought the GN :(

Here is what im looking for.

---I currently use the car as a daily driver on the street and highway. It may see the drag strip 2-4 times a year.

---The turbo should grow with my mods (max 1/4 i want is 11's) and not have to be overworked to produce the power.
....Planed upgrades in the future as money permits
..SMC alchy kit
..MAx effort chip
..Fuel injectors
..Translator plus w/ 4 in maf and Big Mouth induction
..Boring out throttle body and plenum
..BRF tranny or shift kit on my tranny till it breaks

---I am looking for a "medium turbo". This is what i am considering
..TA 61 (900 cfm--600hp)
(same turbine wheel as te-62 and compressor from TE-60)
..TE 60 (900 cfm--600HP)
..TE 44 (850 cfm--580 HP)

The turbo should fit under my shiny chrome turbo shield. TA-61 is stock appearing. I don't know much about the pt series of turbo except some people have reliabilty issues with them.

I noticed in posten's catolog stock type elbow is not recomended for TA-61, so what would be the replacement? I ordered a KMease DP which comes with an elbow that can mount to a stock turbo.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for bearing with me. You will be doing a favor for me and other TR members by replying with your insights. Thanxs again.
:)

Not sure about everything else you said but I am in pretty much the same situation as you. I just bought a TA-54 after debating for a LOOOONG time about which turbo to get. I wanted low to mid 11's without having to run 25+ lbs of boost. I do have a 2800 stall from Bruce. I talked to him last night and he thinks it will be ok with the 54 so I would say you need at least a 2800. I really couldn't tell the difference between that and my 2000 or so stall I had before. Not sure if this is the right word but they seem to be "more efficient" them regular converters.

As for turbos, I think if you just want high 11's, you can get a 49. But if you want low 11's, I would go wit something bigger. My resoning was, if I go mid 11 and want to go faster, I just turn up the boost vs buying a new turbo. Also, I ported my heads while my motor was apart last year and cleaned em up some more this time. That is an idea if you want to go faster with less boost.

I am pretty young as far as Buick eperience but just what I have learned.

you can purchase a use stock turbo for under 200.00 in the parts for sale section-
save your $$ till you are ready to buy the convertor 600.00 injectors 300.00 and the RIGHT turbo--
id say a 54, 3200 stall, and msd 50's

cause it would kinda suck buying bluetops, te44, and a 2800 stall for now, and then in a year or so upgrade to larger parts?!?!

depends on whay YOU want to do--
if you want to settle for a small upgrade, get the te44- i have one with no shaft play, and only around 14k on it for 500.00 it comes with the larger wastegate hole for no boost creep-

thats only about 300.00 more than finding a used stock one-
and it will work fine with the stock used torque convertor-
added with that mease d.p. your looking at 50 more horses over the stock setup you have now!!
wanner@kc.rr.com
bryan

the 49's have proved to be durable units and will go well into the 11's ...i should have kept mine and put it in the 10's but i wanted a lil bigger...big mistake on my part.

see mph in sig to prove the 49 will go just need traction...:)