SMC kit on the way. What percentage of denatured for my blown Mustang application???

R

RobW

Hello guys, you've all been very helpful before so I'm hoping you can help me again.

My kit will be here in a few days. I'll be seeing 11psi max from my Vortech S-Trim supercharger. I ordered a 3,5,7 and 10m nozzles.
So should I just have the spray come on at around 4psi??
I plan on using 100% denatured with the special lube, will that be o.k??

Thanks!

Boy, we should start calling this the Blown Mustang alcohol section;)

I always recommend starting with 100%, and then working in some water to the mix slowly, in 10% increments.

Make sure you add a fair amount of lube to the 100%. As you add more water eventually you wont need any

So the goal is to add as much water as possible until it starts to bog?

Thanks for the info

Well IMO that is the goal. Water gives better knock suppression, and has infinite octane. Anyone who is serious into injection uses some % of water as far as I know

Once you Buick owners teach us Ford owners how to properly force feed our Mustangs we'll keep coming back. :D .

pnyxxpress
90GT Turbocharged

FWIW, on my 10 psi Paxton Novi 2000 setup I switched from the 10 nozzle that Steve sent with the kit down to a 7 running 7-8 pump speed and turning it on ~6 psi.

I think I'm going to convert to a dual stage using a Hobbs and a solenoid, just so I can use smaller nozzles and turn it on sooner. Being that I'm working with a Dodge 360 and stock CR pistons, it needs all the help it can get with avoiding knock.

Bob
'01 Dakota R/T
Current best 13.3@108 mph

Originally posted by RobW
Hello guys, you've all been very helpful before so I'm hoping you can help me again.

My kit will be here in a few days. I'll be seeing 11psi max from my Vortech S-Trim supercharger. I ordered a 3,5,7 and 10m nozzles.
So should I just have the spray come on at around 4psi??
I plan on using 100% denatured with the special lube, will that be o.k??

Thanks!

You'll need to do major tuning with alky, just blasting 100% alky in your motor will kill your afr. If your using an fmu to add fuel it's going to add more fuel as boost is increased, then your going to dump a ton of alky on top of that, netting you a loss in power.

I log a wideband 02 through the stock ECM then datalog with a scan tool, as soon as the alky hit my afr went from 12.3-1 to 10.9, this is with a nozzle that flows about 10gph. I'd bet 99 percent of the guys using alky are losing a lot of power due to the lack of tuning. I still don't know what the target afr is with alky injection, maybe someone on this site could answer that for us.

Pure water seems to work a bit different, it won't effect your afr and cools the cylinder temps, this allows you to bring the boost up and end up with the same cylinder temp with a lot more boost, netting you some horsepower.

I'm no expert on alky/wi but I know just adding alky and turning up the boost is not the right way to tune your car.

What I have learned regarding blown Mustangs is that it is best to run straight water unless you need the extra fuel from the alky. Alky will greatly effect the A/F of your car and if it is too low it will lower hp. If the fuel system is adequate then IMO you are better off using water only. If you do use alky then get some A/F data logged so you can adjust fuel (gasoline) delivery accordingly to keep from running extremely rich. Also, keep in mind that gasoline contains more energy than most alcohols per unit volume and will generally make more power. One other thing to keep in mind is that when using straight water you'll need to go with a smaller nozzle. I use a 3M and think eventually I might try a 1M. Smaller nozzles atomize the water better which makes for more efficient cooling.