SMC vs Alkcontrol vs. ?

87Regal3.8SFI
you had a very old SMC system.. He has alot newer style kit now, that had a built in 3 bar map etc..

None the less, both kits work well,

Phil,
Someone called me a week ago and said the new system now uses an external 3 bar.. Maybe someone who recently bought a kit can confirm this.

Phil,
Someone called me a week ago and said the new system now uses an external 3 bar.. Maybe someone who recently bought a kit can confirm this.

that would be news to me.. worth checkin into though.. i'll drop him a line and ask..

Phil,

Just got my kit 2-3 weeks ago. MAP was still in the control unit that mounts inside the car. The unit has a hose going into it which ties into a vac line. Not sure what the pump is now though because it hits 100psi if I'm watching it when somebody hits the test button. I know everybody says 70psi on this system but it was definitely higher.

Just got my kit 2-3 weeks ago. MAP was still in the control unit that mounts inside the car. The unit has a hose going into it which ties into a vac line. Not sure what the pump is now though because it hits 100psi if I'm watching it when somebody hits the test button. I know everybody says 70psi on this system but it was definitely higher.

My SMC goes to 100psi on a single nozzle, but only 70psi on dual nozzle.

I did run it into the 10's @ 126mph, but that's where I decided it was done and couldn't go any further.

Still a nice kit, and I continue to use it on my 12 sec car.

My SMC goes to 100psi on a single nozzle, but only 70psi on dual nozzle.

I did run it into the 10's @ 126mph, but that's where I decided it was done and couldn't go any further.

Still a nice kit, and I continue to use it on my 12 sec car.

Oh Gotcha, didn't realize it was a single vs. dual nozzle issue.

Note from SMC

Hey Guys!
Want to thank all the TR guys out there (and the GSCA) that have supported SMC thru the last 10 years or so of alky injection. Thought I'd pipe in to clear up any misconceptions.

The SMC progressive kit has been in production for about 4 years now. It uses a modified Flojet pump to achieve 100-110 psi with a #15 nozzle, which is more than enough for 95% of cars. If you want to spray a huge amount on a sub-11.50 car I'd go with 2#10s.

The progressive controller is a one box solution with it's own microprocessor and 3 Bar MAP sensor built in. The only connections needed are +12, Ground, and a vacuum line. The controller has 2 set points- one is where spray begins (START) and the other is the boost point at which the pump reaches full speed. (MAX) The unit also incorporates a test button to allow the user to pressure test system at any time. Also included are 3 LED's for ARMED, SPRAY ON, and LOW ALKY. The SPRAY ON lite is triggered by a pressure switch in the pump to verify line pressure.

Underhood the kit uses a new GM coolant tank for alky and a small auxilliary tank to replace the stock overflow tank. The pump mounts to the A/C accumulator for a super fast install. (approx 1 hour)

On the pressure side of the pump is a guage and braided steel hose going to the check valve/#15 nozzle assembly.

Me & Razor have become friends over the years and don't diss each others products. (We would rather diss the CRAPPY kits out there) Both our kits are great units! Each has it's strong points. The SMC kit is very modular and a fast install. No extra wiring or MAP is needed. The Razor kit has a stronger pump for the cars that need it. Julio is on the forums alot more than I for tech support, and I can normally be reached anytime over the phone or via email. (alky is all I've done for the last 10 years)

We are very busy lately with the turbo import market. We recently were in D-Sport Magazine for an 10 system alky system shootout. We were fortunate to be chosen as the kit the mag chose to do an install/dyno tune (5 extra color pages- WOOT)on a 2.0 liter WRX that picked up 50 HP with a 50/50 alky/water mix. Needless to say they were stoked.

Anyway- feel free to contact me with any questions or tech support needs....and keep that alky flowin!

Thanks for the input, SMC Steve and Razor.

I'll be flipping a coin soon. Best 2 out of 3 will win.

I'm sure I'll win no matter which system I choose.

Thanks!
Tim

Makes perfect sense to me now.
Better parts = higher price.
Plus there is something to say about the fact that you are very accessable for tech support when it's needed. Value of that = priceless.[/B][/B]

In your expert opinion, knowing the above, do I still "need" your kit over the SMC?

Please don't misunderstand my question...not trying to be a wise @$$. Just trying to learn from the pro's.

Thanks!
Tim

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would look like you answered your own question.

My opinion, dont be cheap, buy a quality product:biggrin:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would look like you answered your own question.

My opinion, dont be cheap, buy a quality product:biggrin:

After buying and installing the SMC a few weeks ago, It's a quality product. I know everybody loves the Razor here, and rightfully so, but the SMC is not some outcast kit that should be sent to the land of misfit alky. :confused:

SMC rocks!! 27psi 0knock, 1/4 10.89@123mph!! My car has never ran this fast, and it took 45mins to install.

How much timing?

Mine went 10.99 @ 125 with 29PSI, 17deg timing, single nozzle SMC, 3deg KR
Also ran a 10.72 @ 125 with 27PSI, 17deg timing, dual nozzle SMC, 1deg KR

Razor seems like a great guy, and I have heard nothing but good about him.

That being said, if I had to do it all over again, I would pick up another SMC. I love it and Steve took great care of me. He mailed me a set of instructions for no charge on an OLD USED kit of his that I picked up. It doesn't get much better than that.

You can't go wrong with either one. :biggrin:

How much timing?

Mine went 10.99 @ 125 with 29PSI, 17deg timing, single nozzle SMC, 3deg KR
Also ran a 10.72 @ 125 with 27PSI, 17deg timing, dual nozzle SMC, 1deg KR
Single nozzle, timing @ 26/22, thats not at a track yet, but on my G-tech on a 3% down grade. Will go to the track, this weekend to get it offical.

Hey Alkycontrol guys.
Anyone who has installed the current version....

What was involved in the install....how long....any difficulties....how easy to set up...easy enough for any Joe to install and set-up?

Guess what I actually want to know is how would you compare the install to what is posted here about SMC.

I think either system will work fantastic in my set-up.
Please be as objective and unbiased as possible in your response...just after good accurate feedback at this point.:D

Thanks!
Tim