SMC vs. PAC / My personal experience

Buick Beginner

Where is my $$$ going?
Gentlemen,
I’d like to give board readers my observations on the Progressive Alcohol Controller (PAC), sold by “Razor” on our board, as well as the SMC single nozzle kit. I’ve owned both systems and I would like to present some objective comments, and comparisons. I had the SMC kit for about 9 months; my new PAC system is less than 2 months old.

The SMC kit; first the Pro’s:

The SMC was, above all, a cinch to install. It is “plug and play”, self contained, and easy to operate. The unit is small, and doesn’t take up much room. There are only 2 main components, the tank assembly (with internals), and the controller box. I never had any trouble with the pump, or any part of the system even though I bought it used. The install was straightforward and simple; I installed it in less than 3 hrs. I contacted Steve at SMC and he quickly sent me a new instruction sheet, and “turbo” spring when I needed them, (nice customer service). Tuning the system is a snap, rarely does it need special attention. When you need more alky, you just twist the knob.

Now the Con’s:

To me personally, the drawbacks to the SMC system are purely from a performance standpoint. Obviously the system I had was the base system, (not progressive), and that’s all I can comment on. The system activates the pump at a certain boost level, which you set. Typically between 5 and 15 lbs. Once the boost level reaches that level, the pump sprays the amount of alky selected by the user based on the pump speed selected. The main drawback with the SMC kit is this; the flow rate is the same no mater what the boost level. Typically for me that meant, if I wanted to run high boost I had to shoot a heavy load of alky, (big puff of black smoke). But if you shoot the alky too soon, you bog. So you lower the pump speed, but then your hungry for alky on the topside. You can’t have your cake and eat it too, so to speak. The small tank and the Alky lube are kind of an irritant but are certainly workable.

Now for the PAC kit sold by “Razor” on our TB board.

I’m going backwards, first the Con’s:

I bought the kit new from Julio himself and since he lives only about 20 miles away, drove to his place to pick it up. It’s nicely built BUT has quite a few more pieces than the SMC kit; in fact I would say a bunch more! It almost looked like a Revel model kit. Price wise, the kit is about $60 to $80 more than the SMC kit. (At least last time I checked). Julio told me it was a half-day install job. Well, he obviously doesn’t know me very well. It took me somewhere around 15 hours to get that whole thing installed! That includes the new tank, pump, MAP sensor, lights, and a bunch of other little knick-knacks that go with the kit. My friends I would have to say that I’ve just covered the drawbacks to the PAC kit it their entirety. The rest of the story is pure excitement.

Now the Pro’s:

The PAC system uses a Sure-Flo pump, which is probably capable of pumping nuclear waste products with no ill effects; it’s heavy duty to say the least. Once the system is tuned, it’s performance ranges from impressive to phenomenal. The linear movement of alky spray as boost increases is absolutely thrilling. No more puff of black smoke, no transitional knock, just a struggle to keep the car out of the ditch. The power potential is truly amazing. So the positive side of the PAC system is plain and simple performance! From what I’ve seen you will not run out of spray with this system, If you ran the pump system wide open with 30 lbs of boost, it’s easily capable of drowning the motor! You just aren’t going to “outgrow” the PAC system. Julio is always quick to answer a question or lend a hand, (nice customer support), and the components are good quality. To me these things are a strong positive, but they stand in the shadow of the incredible performance of this system. The system is as easy to tune for a 13 second car as it is for a 10 second car. It works equally good for a car running 15 lbs of boost or 30 lbs of boost.

In summary I suppose it really depends on what you are looking for, if you can only spare 3 hours on a Saturday, and you aren’t comfortable with many different wires and components, I would certainly consider the SMC kit. It's truly simple to install and works wonders for 93 octance pump gas. If absolute all out performance is on the top of your list and you can spare more time along with the extra $60 to $80 then I would say the PAC kit is the way to go. I have no regrets with either one. I just "out grew" one and got the other. I can’t comment on any of the other systems out there because I’ve never owned them. I’d like to take just a second to thank TR vendors who keep inventing, or perfecting components for our cars. Without them I think the TR’s would just die of old age. I’m going driving now, later. - BB

Tom, over at the Largo show, we kidded about the 15 hour install. But I admire your honesty. Many guys on this board are proud to post they can R&R a motor in 45 minutes. :rolleyes: I don't have the kit myself, so I really couldn't comment. I guess you're just thorough. Come on over some Saturday evening so we can all "kid" together.

One of these days

By cracky one of these days I'm gonna be over there, but this weekend I have to work the MacDill Airshow. It's probably for the best though, that way everyone has time to forget about how slow I am. :p

Cool, thanks for the input. I would think a progressive system is gonna be better than a non. Has anybody tried smc's progressive system? Are you able to add it to an already installed smc kit?

I'll agree with BB on that progressive install.
I've got about 6 hours into it already and I still need to
mount the pump and lines, install the nozzle, mount the
controller and zip tie all the wiring for a clean install.
I'm guessing prolly another 4 hours before I'm ready to
fire it up and I'm a mechanic with 19 years experience.
I will admit I like to take my sweet time when it comes
to working on my Buick, it's kind of a hobby of mine.

Mike

Took me about 45 minutes:D, BUT i do install car stereos for a living so all the electronic stuff was quick and I'm used to running wires through the firewall AND I don't have my battery in the front anymore so it was a perfect place to mount the pump. Now that was just to get it up and running, but once I get a little custom with the mounting of controls that could be another story. ;) Either way it's worth every minute of time.

Adam

The thougth of having someone with car electronic expertise is a good thought. Having to install the system has put me off the progressive kit. Maybe the guys in the east can chip in to buy Razor a plane ticket?:D

You want to know some pain? Install the PAC when your car already has a preluber installed ;-)

The original owner installed one, and it's right in the same space you're supposed to mount the alcohol pump.

But it can be done :cool: The fit is pretty tight, but I finally got it all wired up and have all of the hoses going where they should be.

Happy with the PAC so far (no experience with the SMC). Only problem is that I'm getting break up at high boost at the moment grr.