You can type here any text you want

Smoking

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

whiner

My car has been sitting for about 3 years. I finally installed the 60# injectors, TT chip, fuel pump, cleaned out all
fuel lines & gas tank, replaced the fuel filter. Car was running pretty good. Then drove is without getting into the boost to work to change the oil.
After the oil change there is white smoke coming out the exhaust when
the car is started and idles. When I drive the car the smoke is gone and when sitting at stop lights there is no smoke. I checked the oil level. Checked for coolant in the oil. I am stumped.
I also just hooked up the scan master and the O2 are anywhere from the
300's to the 600's at idle. Is that normal?

Mine did that once and it turned out to be the seal in the turbo. Might be time for a rebuild or upgrade...

My car has been sitting for about 3 years. I finally installed the 60# injectors, TT chip, fuel pump, cleaned out all
fuel lines & gas tank, replaced the fuel filter. Car was running pretty good. Then drove is without getting into the boost to work to change the oil.
After the oil change there is white smoke coming out the exhaust when
the car is started and idles. When I drive the car the smoke is gone and when sitting at stop lights there is no smoke. I checked the oil level. Checked for coolant in the oil. I am stumped.
I also just hooked up the scan master and the O2 are anywhere from the
300's to the 600's at idle. Is that normal?

Did you clean out your intercooler? If it has the old stock hose from the valve cover to the turbo, oil will flow into the intercooler. I have dumped more than a quart of oil out of that thing. If it is truly white smoke that would be coolant. A slight leak into the cylinder? If is the turbo heading south the oil would be bluish and would show up under boost.

Probably just condensation in the exhaust. Start it up again and see if it still happens.

Intercooler has been cleaned out. What hose are you talking about, I don't recall seeing a hose from the valve cover to the turbo.
It smokes everytime I start it and let it idle for more then 15 seconds.

On the front end of the pass. side valve cover the stock set up was a black filter that had a hose that wint to the turbo. Most have been replaced by a filter without the hose and the port on the turbo capped off.

Ok I know exactly what you are talking about. My turbo is capped off. I always wondered what that was for.
Still the engine only started smoking after the oil was changed. I cannot find the logic in this.

Ok I know exactly what you are talking about. My turbo is capped off. I always wondered what that was for.
Still the engine only started smoking after the oil was changed. I cannot find the logic in this.

Coincidence. Nothing about changing oil can cause the smoking you are describing. Sounds like either leaking valve seals, IF, the smoke is oil. Or a slight leak from coolant leaking by head gasket into cylinder. If you are running antifreeze, you should be able to detect a sweet smell from the exhaust, if it is coolant. Have someone else start the car so you can stand in the back and get a good wiff of the smoke.

Back