so rich that it smokes you out

Matt McClung

Hotair guy who owns a I/C
I have a question, the only thing that I touched on my 86 gn is the spark plugs. I removed the plugs and regapped them to .032 and put it back together and now it smokes like crazy (raw fuel). I reset the ECM and no change. I double checked that the wires were to the right spark plugs. Just to clarify, when I say that this thing smokes, I mean it SMOKES A LOT. The fuel pressure is set good and I even turned the pressure way down. The injectors have to be working overtime. I also checked the TPS and it is set at .44 at idle. I just did not think that regaping my plugs would cause this.

Any Ideas?

Matt

This happened to me. I have the Max Effort 16 pos thumbwheel chip. Maybe you already tried it, but I took the chip out and put it back in, and that was the cause. I guess it wasn't making good contact. It was running exactly like you say yours is, pig-rich. I hope that fixes it.

I just checked the plugs and they are randomly just black or even wet. I even regapped them to what they were and no change. I did notice that on the way home today it was starting to act up (running sluggish). I had it run really rich about a week ago but it seemed to clear up until today. I wonder if the ECM or the chip is at fault because I did not know any better before and I was switching chips without disconnecting the ECM power. after that I started to get a no start situation which it has not done for over a week but now this. Any body think that I might have hurt the ECM by switching chips without disconnecting power?

Thanks

Matt

Matt McClung said:
I have a question, the only thing that I touched on my 86 gn is the spark plugs. I removed the plugs and regapped them to .032 and put it back together and now it smokes like crazy (raw fuel). I reset the ECM and no change. I double checked that the wires were to the right spark plugs. Just to clarify, when I say that this thing smokes, I mean it SMOKES A LOT. The fuel pressure is set good and I even turned the pressure way down. The injectors have to be working overtime. I also checked the TPS and it is set at .44 at idle. I just did not think that regaping my plugs would cause this.

Any Ideas?

Matt

Matt,

just a long shot, but I see your TPS is set at .44 Try setting it back to say .38 - .39

.44 is right on the edge off idle fuel enrichment. Maybe fuel is being added unecessarily. I'm not sure how this setting would change by changing the plugs, maybe the TPS got bumped hard enough to change the setting. Never the less, I'd change it back to .39 in any event. As I said, it's a long shot :confused:

Injector stuck open ?????

George

Happened to me too...I had a bad chip. New chip made all the difference. You might also check for vacumm leaks. mo

Vacuum leaks?!!!!
Go check the computer and make sure everything is plugged in properly..the harness, the chip...disconnect the orange power wire, re-seat the chip and the harness, plug the orange wire back in. Go pull the ignition module connector with a 1/4" socket and check for corrosion/water/oil...whatever in the pins and sockets and make sure none of the pins are bent...do the same with the computer harness connector while its off, and pop each fuel injector connector off and check those as well.....plus make sure those are on the correct injectors.
Is there ANYTHING else you disconnected? O2 sensor connector? MAF? Cam sensor? Make sure the crank sensor is plugged in/not broken or wobbling around.
Go check the firing order again and again and again. The numbers are right on the coil pack.
Do an ohm check on all the coils and every plug wire.
Take off that TPS enhancer and run it the normal way and check the voltage.
Go pull each and every plug and look very closely for cracks and make sure you didnt damage anything while you were gapping them.
It really sounds like an electronic issue..probably the computer in one way or another (chip/poor connections).

This happened to me and it turned out to be the Fuel Injector Wiring Harness.

Check every inch of the harness carefully. The harness was pinched so it shorted out, and the car made all kinds of smoke.

Although it did help me find my exhaust leaks. :eek: