Software for a new programmer

tta583

I am trying to find a good way to start tweeking some chips and hoped some of you could point me in a direction.

A friend of mine brought it to my attention that a common friend of ours has a chip burner. Not having one and not being real interested in buying one was MY reason for staying out of the chip, plus the fact I have been happy running the street Thrasher I have now with no aspirations to "push" my turbo car.

Any way what started this was that we got on the topic of tweeking some of his stuff and some of the cars he works with as well as my background in computers and 6 years of old school programming. Basically HEX addressing and base 10 to 16 conversions does not bother me. I said I would take a look around and start asking questions to see what I could learn to help him tune.

I have looked at the chip info on gnttype.org and feel with a little practice, luck, and a few cars to test with (my buddies contribution) that I may be able to do this.

Here is where I hope someone can help. Is there a preferred HEX editor out there? Is there something that can pull the rom in and fill our a template with the settings for easy viewing? Maybe someting that allowes me to change the template and resave? HEX or base 10, GUI or text, it does not matter. I would like to find something free so that we can play around a little to test our hands before we actually outlay money, like buy our own burner.

Thanks for any advice,

Brent

Thanks!! I will link out and see what there is to see.

Any other suggestions out there?

Thanks again,

Brent

We have a complete package ready to go. It is $299, and includes the pocket programmer, chip eraser, software and 3 blank chips.

Please visit www.bmcomputersource.com for details.
It is a windows based editor, you can download a free eval copy. It is called the Turbo Six Tuner package.

Thanks!
-Bob

Thanks for the info folks. I have pulled down a few hex editors and sets of chip specs to kind of get started. I was actually looking to find something free to start with to see how it works out. I realize you get what you pay for, but I want to test my hand before I invest some cash to help tune cars that are not mine!! Any way, we all know how it will end up. It will be fun and cool (Yes, messing with HEX is oddly fun to me.) and I will end up buying something anyway.

The search continues.