You can type here any text you want

Solve this arguement for me...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Crazi

Why Try...
Me and a buddy of mine are arguing what it takes to get a buick in the 9's "easily." I say it would take a stage motor to do it easily and reliably. He says that it is possible on a stock block with just a bore and bottom end build up.

His reference is V8 big block motors and mine is the LC2 block... Is it possible to do an "easy" 9 sec pass with a stock block? "Easy" meaning letting off before the end of the quarter or not pushing the car hard.

He claims he knows a guy that is lifting before the end of the quarter and coasting to a mid to high 9 at 130+... :eek:

It might be easy for Bamford or Roy/Laz but I am not sure for how many others.
When I say easy I don't mean with money or time either.
Jason Cramer has gone 9.8s with a pretty basic car. IE Stock Block, Stock Tranny and Stock Rear End.

Easy? NO!

Possible? Yes.

There are a handfull of guys doing it. But these are the guys who are on the cutting edge, trying new things and sometimes breaking sh*t.

If it were easy to run a 9.XX with a stock block, hundreds of guys would be doing it.

It doesn't matter if you are talking about a V6 Stock block or Stage block, building an engine to consistently produce that level of HP is NEVER cheap.

So with enough money into a stock block, you could go nines BUT, he claims this guy is going nines "lifting!"

I say that he is running a stage motor...

Well Disco Stu is going 9.7-9.8's lately in his stock block effort. The TA heads seem to flow quite well. Also has a steel crank and rods. Add a solid roller and the rest of the support gear and simmer and stir...

At a minimum I'd say it requires steel main caps :D But it can be done.

TurboTR

About 4 or 5 years ago at Pomona raceway, there was this GN that had everyone in the stands jump up and start screaming cause it was so unbelievable. This was no back halfed car or anything. He launched, lifted the wheels hard, and then let off the gas and came slamming back down..like he decided to abort. He sat there for a quick moment and then he jumped back on it without even building boost with the transbrake or anything and ran a 9.4! He just punched it again and ran that number. The guy practically stalled at the line after launching, ate a sandwich and still ran that number. Wish I knew who that guy was. We went and checked the car out in the pits, and it was a lil turbo 6 with most of the junk under the hood gutted. But I remember it having a full interior. I remember he was yelling and all pissed cause the officials threw him off the track and he was talking about politics with NHRA or something. That was one damn amazing TR!

To answer your question, I doubt any of the guys running 9s on a stock block (however few there may be now or in the past) would deem it easy. I doubt any of them would deem it cheap, either.

strike

I think Dave summed it up pretty nicely.

It won't be EASY any way you look at it. A light weight car helps a lot too.

Neal

turbodave231 said:
Easy? NO!

Possible? Yes.

There are a handfull of guys doing it. But these are the guys who are on the cutting edge, trying new things and sometimes breaking sh*t.

If it were easy to run a 9.XX with a stock block, hundreds of guys would be doing it.

It doesn't matter if you are talking about a V6 Stock block or Stage block, building an engine to consistently produce that level of HP is NEVER cheap.

750H.P.V6 said:
A light weight car helps a lot too.

Neal

BINGO! Most of the fast stock block cars (I.E.> TSM cars) are at least 3500-3600lbs and as we all know it is just a matter of power to weight... You obviously have to make more power to make a heavier car run "X" # so this causes more stress/chance of breakage especially when we are talking about running 9's with a 109 motor... I think we would see some more 9 second stock block cars if most Buick guys were like the Mustang/F-body crowd that doesn't mind gutting a car and getting it as light as possible.. Most Buick guys want to do it with a full interior and as little FG parts as possible (aka "Fast with class") so as a result they have to push these stock blocks harder to put them in the 9's!

If you really wanna go fast with a 109 and you don't care if you do it in a Buick body the easiest way to go is building a hybrid!!!

My bro is a prime example as he recently purchased a Buick stock block powered hybrid that we like to call Butang.. It is 2600lbs w/ out a driver and the previous owner ran low 10's high 9's with a conservative tune where the car only makes 470-520rwhp depending on how high you want to turn up the wick!

how many people are running a 70+ series turbo with 72pph+ injectors?

need a certain amount of air and fuel to even think about 9's - race fuel and big azz slicks too

John Wilde said:
Jason Cramer has gone 9.8s with a pretty basic car. IE Stock Block, Stock Tranny and Stock Rear End.
John nothing against you, but this term everyone uses "stock" is such BS. there is nothing stock about it. yes there are they few like Jason, Sully & some others that are or were using the stock crank, rods, with the production block. but the block is not stock when you add caps, or a girdle, or hard block. the term should be production block. same thing for the tranny, it's not stock a stock tranny would never hold up to a 9 sec pass. I just think the term stock is used in the incorrect context.

as for running 9's easily. it takes a lot of time, $, & trial & error. the big question is how long will the motor last. no one that is running 9's is really going to tell you how often the motor gets freshened up and checked internally. so to answer your question, yes it can be done, but at what cost! :confused:

Back