some turbo identification help

Dom87SS

i have a question for you guys. i know nothing about how to tell if a turbo is stock or not, besided the obvious look of huge vs small. so my buddie (well i have several with TR's) has a 87 GN, like most people do. we pulled the turbo shield off tonght cause we were bored and wanted to clean it. so i grabbed the number off the exhaust side to see if any of you could help us out in finding if he has a stock turbo. the car recently (a month ago) had the tranny done. the motor has been balanced. and bigger injectors are supposedly on it. we know nothin as to how to find out, so here is where the wise men of this board come in. here is how the number is layed out. i couldnt find any numbers on the compressor side. and i know nothin else about mods, neither does he.

garrett 69/8T
M3
A
G2

gnttype has a photo guide for turbos. See if it's there. If not, take a picture for us and we'll see what we can find out.

if i sang some pics of it, and other things like the injectors, and thew hole engine bay in detail. could you guys help us out in finding what he might have add on the motor. like i said all we know is the motor is balanced it has IC pipes, kenne bell cold air intake (which im trying to talk him into taking off and just having a open cone filter), supposedly 48# injectors, and thats it. i have to get pics of some bracket for the IC for his GN today, so should i take a few more and just throw them up here later? o and the picture on gnttype did help much. cause we only looked at it for about 10 minutes, and fromt the top/passenger side of the car. we didnt look from the diver side or front.

ok i took some pics, so anyone that can help me out id appreciate it.please look over them for anything my eyes dont see.

here is a close up front/driver side view of the turbo
fbe636ff.jpg

passenger / front side of motor and turbo
fbe63717.jpg

passenger side close up showing his "white top" injectors and i think plenum spacer, again i think.
fbe6460c.jpg

close up of passenger side showing i think stock ignition, TB, and possibly a FPR with a chrome cover?
fbe64616.jpg

driver / front side showing kenne bell intake system, and other tid bits of chrome piping, and stuff i probably cant see with my untrained eye.
fbe64623.jpg

i cant say i am the least bit thrilled that of the 50 people who viewed this thread, and the thousands on the site i cant get a answer. a fellow TR owner wants some advace/help, and he gets nothin but a blank stare and a slap in tha face, when he come to you guys.this post has been up a few short days, and nothing has come of it, maybe its the section, i dont know, it could just be a slow traffic area. all i know is i wanted a answer, any kind. saying we dont know, talk to this guy, or thats such and such. the door is still open for replies, and hed really appreciate if you could help him to figure out what we got before it goes on the dyno for a baseline run.

Cool yer jets Dom, lol. I doubt anyone checks this section. I hardly do.
Originally posted by Dom87SS
close up of passenger side showing i think stock ignition, TB, and possibly a FPR with a chrome cover?
The fpr is stock, might wanna change that. The thing next to it is the egr valve, although I cant make it out too well. Nothing else seems out of the ordinary, I dont know the IC'd engine bay that well since I dont have an 86/87 *yet*.

dude, calm down. do you want the right answer/help with your question or do you want a bunch of responses from people who dont know what they are talking about? people may be lookin at your question and not know the answer and move on. i do it all the time, its called browsing.

now, a simple way to tell if the turbo is stock is to take the inlet pipe off the turbo and look at the compressor wheels. there should be 7 alternating length blades.

HTH :cool:

Yep, I agree on the 868 injectors. (Take a look on the injector, there will be a series of numbers running across the body of them)
If the fuel regulator isn't adjustable(no allen head set screw with a 7/16's retaining nut) change it to an adjustable.
I agree on the stock turbo as well.
Stock looking downpipe.
Aftermarket valve covers, hopefully someone did the valve springs when they were in there.......

on the injectors am i looking for 868. id imagine, because i doubt theyd put "36lbs" on it. ill check the regulator tonight, and urge himnm to get a adjustable, is it isnt one already. he is getting a 3" DP from torque tech, and a 3"in turbo back system as well. i think its a bit pricey, but thats what he wants. and he will clamp it all together, then get it welded right away. actually the valves could be a mystery, cause the bumb people who owned it before him were, well dumb. all the the bolts for the valve covers werent even finger tight, and i think 2 werent evenin, they were just sitting there, not threaded in the whole.you could basically lift up each vavle cover off the head, which obviously isnt good. so that solved the oil leak problem, and i think made the car a bit quicker. i dont know how, maybe vacum, or oil pressure, or something. but thanks for the responses guys...and dan maybe you can give it a once over to see if there is anything they missed, or maybesteve wood, if hes in CL this week.

im pretty sure a torq tech DP is the 2 piece that utilizes the stock elbow. if he gets this be sure to port & polish the elbow. its easy and increases the flow to near that of a full 3 inch DP as it is the biggest bottleneck on the downpipe. also make sure to get the 3 most necessary mods, scantool, fuel pump, and regulator.