You can type here any text you want

Someone please tell me what this is and where it goes?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Tach connection?

DonnieShort said:
That is the tach signal wire.

You're kidding! I have always wondered about that as I have one just like it. It must be part of the factory harness? Strange place to put it. Any idea as to the reasoning behind the location?

You can run an aftermarket tack off that feed. Buick engineers definitely blew that design. Notice the other connector next to it that looks like they should be plugged in together? A lot of people made that mistake. The other is a feed you can use to run the fuel pump.

mark b said:
You can run an aftermarket tack off that feed. Buick engineers definitely blew that design.
No doubt. You would think they would try and keep that signal away from that giant rotating magnetic field right there. DUH!

mark b said:
Notice the other connector next to it that looks like they should be plugged in together? A lot of people made that mistake. The other is a feed you can use to run the fuel pump.
Interesting. I have never looked into it, but is that maybe a connection for this 'Hot wire' that I hear about for the aftermarket fuel pump?

zeus87gn said:
I have never looked into it, but is that maybe a connection for this 'Hot wire' that I hear about for the aftermarket fuel pump?

Yes, there is where mine is run from. I did mine before the kits were available.

DING! the light goes on

mark b said:
Yes, there is where mine is run from. I did mine before the kits were available.
AH HA! This may explain what I have been experiencing. Slow fuel pump reaction when attempting to set the pressure and the inability to not have the motor knock unless I bring the boost up slowly. I don't have a hot wire to the RedArmstrong fuel pump (that I can tell) and now I think I know what to do. Did you run the wire inside the existing harness?

zeus87gn said:
AH HA! Did you run the wire inside the existing harness?

I ran it through the body of the car to the trunk and tapped into the harness there. I did this so long ago! The details may still be on GNTTYPE, but truthfully it's much easier to use the aftermarket kit that is plug and play. One reason I ran mine inside the car was to put a kill switch in the trunk.

mark b said:
....... The other is a feed you can use to run the fuel pump.

I believe most people only use this wire if they were pumping all the gas out of the tank through the fuel rails and into a gas can. They power this wire up.... and the fuel pump runs....... w/o someone being in the car. This allowed someone to go to the track with less than 5 gal of premium in the tank.... bring out an empty can..... take the fitting off the end of the fuel rail..... attach a hose... route it into the empty can..... tap 12 v into that connector .... which powers the fuel pump... and then empties the tank into the 5 gal can..... then they could button everything back up..... and pour 5 gal of C16 race gas...... and cut the boost up and...... :eek:

I don't believe this wire is a good place to "hot wire" the fuel pump. You need 10 ga wire or so.... run all the way to the fuel pump connector by the trunk.... connected to a good source of constant 12v (like the bolt on the back of the alternator).... and use a relay triggered by the factory fuel pump wiring harness back by the tank.

Just my 0.02

HTH

My mistake, I apologize - you are absolutely right. I am hot-wired off the back of the alternator.

The other black wire is for pumping - the easy method was to take the connector from the underhood light and plug it in.

Again, sorry! Been over 2 years since I saw my car and probably 10 years since I did the hot-wire.

Back