Sort of a noob trans/tc question...

I picked up a GM Reman CRF trans recently with super low miles. It still looks almost new and the fluid is BLOOD red. It has the universal bell housing but is out of a Monte 305. Couple of questions:

I got a "9" torque converter with the trans and I have a new "7" converter from an Olds I had a few years ago. Can I/should I use either of these converters (will they bolt up) or should I get a D5 specifically for a 231?

My 84 GN (stock) has been 'sleeping' for far too long and I want to use this trans solely to get the car back on the road and driving. So, even if its not the most high-performance unit, and considering it is mint, are there any inherent problems with this plan?

Will a shift kit be worth installing? I have a B&M that I bought years ago for the trans in my car that I later found was smoked.

Thanks in advance for your undoubtly sage advice...

Trans

I would definetly install some sort of shift kit in it. The CRF was behind a Chevy 305 Vin "H" V8 = No Power. I don't know anything about the 9 or 7 convertors. The 9 that came with it is probably a low stall. If there new I'd say try them but don't use the 1 from your smoked trans.

Cool. Thanks for the insight. B&M is in! The 9 converter is out of the monte, so that's probably got a lousy stall. The 7 converter is out of a caprice wagon with the powerhouse 307 Olds engine. It was a warranty replacement for one that went bad after I had the trans in that boat rebuilt. Zero miles, so unless someone on here tells me it would be a bad idea to use, I think that's gonna be my move.

Those converters are a lower stall but they are good enough to get you around. Turbo will be slow spooling.

The convertor out of the wagon should have a little more stall RPM to help get all that weight moving.