Spal fan install question

GNRick

Retired member
I'll be removing my POS Ramcharger dual fan with a Spal dual fan. I have been using a Racetronix harness for the Ramcharger fan. The Spal picture shows two electrical connections, one for each fan. Has anyone cut off the Ramchargers connector and spliced it on to the Spal?

I decided to go the other way and get the matching connectors to the Spal fan. I contacted Spal directly at the time for the matching connectors.

Thanks for the info John. However, since I already have the Racetronix harness, is there a way to adapt it to the spal fan? I noticed that the Spal has a red and a black from each fan. The Ramchargers has a green, a yellow, and a black from each fan. John- your link says that the Spal fan will run on the low speed circuit. Does this mean it won't run on high when the air conditioning is on, or at other times when high is needed? Can the Spal fan be made to run on low and high, through the Racetronix harness? Thanks.

I just called Spal tech support and they said their fan is only single speed. So should I combine the red wires together to run off the yellow wire or the green wire? Or run off both wires? So if the air conditioning comes on, does it send a signal through the high speed circuit, and if so, should I connect the red wire to both the green and yellow to make sure it always gets a signal when there is a signal present? I'm so confused!!!Thanks!

Don't know how the racetronix is built, but with the Caspers, the fans are indeed single speed, and when you call for low speed from the car, the fans "stage" so that one starts first, then the other starts about a half second later. This reduces the shock load to the electrical system. If you need high speed, such as when the AC is on or when the car is running hot, the low speed is always running first, so the fans will run no matter what, as long as low speed is initiated.

Starting two SPAL fans at the same time is not a good idea.

John- maybe I just don't get it. So are you saying that low speed is one fan running, or both? Is there a difference between low and high speed?

You don't want only one fan to run and not the other one...that will restrict flow thru the radiator.

Low speed is simply both fans running. That also counts for high speed since two SPAL fans flow better than the stock single fan on high speed.

Greater air flow across the radiator fins is always desirable.

I just called Spal tech support and they said their fan is only single speed. So should I combine the red wires together to run off the yellow wire or the green wire? Or run off both wires? So if the air conditioning comes on, does it send a signal through the high speed circuit, and if so, should I connect the red wire to both the green and yellow to make sure it always gets a signal when there is a signal present? I'm so confused!!!Thanks!

Please see the PM sent. Wiring information is available as well as functional description and factory wiring schematics. Thanks.

I bought the Racetronix dual fan harness FNWH-005 back in March for my SPAL fans. I am planning on putting it on the car this weekend, but have a few problems.

1.) The fan connectors on the harness aren't the same as the ones that are on the SPAL fans.
2.) Where could I find the correct connectors to splice into the fan wires?

PLEASE help!!! I'm on a time crunch!?!

That's great! I just realized from looking on the Racetronix website that they FORGOT to ship the fan connector set with the dual fan harness.