You can type here any text you want

Spark Blowout?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GSTOY

I finally got the HG's installed, and the engine back in today after blowing up both my HG's a couple of weeks ago...see

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/engine-tech/252588-ahh-head-gaskets-oil-bath.html

Anyhow, took the car out but did not attach the wastegate rod because I didn't want to run any boost just yet until I get a couple of warmup cycles. On engine alone, the car ran hard. Finally this crazy problem of the car dying when I go to WOT has gone away..or so I thought o when I put the wastegate rod on. When I start making boost the engine just lays down when I try a WOT. This got me to thinking, and I certainly would like other opinions, I'm thinking that I'm getting a spark blowout condition. Reason why is when the engine lays down, it almost acts like I could pedal the throttle to bring it back, but it ultimitely dies and backfires...like gas that's in the combustion chamber that never got lit. If I put the car in neutral, it will start fairly easily. Now without any boost, ran fine at WOT no hickups at all, but under boost pressure I think it's knocking it out. Edit...I should mention that no codes come up.

I ohm'd the coils, they check good, but they also have a original 87 date code..could they possibly be faulty under boost? Or could it be the ignition module? I have some ngk's gapped at 32, and before that, some ac delco's so I'm certain plugs are not the issue.

On another note, wouldn't you know after all this testing the dreaded "hard pedal" reared it's ugly head....geesh I can't catch a break. I noticed I had a bunch of brake fluid under the car, and it was coming from the PM motor area. I have taken it off and upon further inspection, the end seal just has a bunch of crud caked on it after I tore it down. I'm off to the store to get some brake fluid and cleaner so I can clean this up. I think it's salvegable :) just need to clean all the junk that accumilated in it.

Steve

Walboro fuel pump w/hotwire, 3" DP w/testpipe, 009 injectors w/ TT chip, BM shorty cold air kit w/9"KN Filter

head gaskets

I finally got the HG's installed, and the engine back in today after blowing up both my HG's a couple of weeks ago...see

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/engine-tech/252588-ahh-head-gaskets-oil-bath.html

Anyhow, took the car out but did not attach the wastegate rod because I didn't want to run any boost just yet until I get a couple of warmup cycles. On engine alone, the car ran hard. Finally this crazy problem of the car dying when I go to WOT has gone away..or so I thought o when I put the wastegate rod on. When I start making boost the engine just lays down when I try a WOT. This got me to thinking, and I certainly would like other opinions, I'm thinking that I'm getting a spark blowout condition. Reason why is when the engine lays down, it almost acts like I could pedal the throttle to bring it back, but it ultimitely dies and backfires...like gas that's in the combustion chamber that never got lit. If I put the car in neutral, it will start fairly easily. Now without any boost, ran fine at WOT no hickups at all, but under boost pressure I think it's knocking it out. Edit...I should mention that no codes come up.

I ohm'd the coils, they check good, but they also have a original 87 date code..could they possibly be faulty under boost? Or could it be the ignition module? I have some ngk's gapped at 32, and before that, some ac delco's so I'm certain plugs are not the issue.

On another note, wouldn't you know after all this testing the dreaded "hard pedal" reared it's ugly head....geesh I can't catch a break. I noticed I had a bunch of brake fluid under the car, and it was coming from the PM motor area. I have taken it off and upon further inspection, the end seal just has a bunch of crud caked on it after I tore it down. I'm off to the store to get some brake fluid and cleaner so I can clean this up. I think it's salvegable :) just need to clean all the junk that accumilated in it.

Steve

Walboro fuel pump w/hotwire, 3" DP w/testpipe, 009 injectors w/ TT chip, BM shorty cold air kit w/9"KN Filter

I had to laugh when i saw your head gaskets.I think mine came out of the same batch.I got the oil bath too.The next time i'm trying a different gasket.Anyway mines back up and running fine.Back to your's.You didn't say what fuel pressure or boost you're running.Could be coil or ing mod.Ohm the plug wires and see if theres any high ohm odd balls.Could be to much fuel.You could turn the fuel and boost down some until you get this wot issue solved and then sneak back up on those head gaskets.Good luck with that brake issue. george

Fuel pressure set to 42, vac line off, and today I unscrewed the wastegate rod a couple of turns out to keep boost down, making the rod longer.

Steve

Is your fuel pressure rising as the boost increases ? Maybe the pump is starting to go bad.

So, what system are you using, to scan with?
Blowing both h/g's is a sure sign that:
1. The tune was fubar.
2. The fuel system is fubar.
Suggest you test the coil/module w/ a Caspers tester, when it's been run up to temperature. Your VOM test can be very misleading.

Someone replace the gaskets, before? Maybe, reused the TTY headbolts?
What did the plugs look like when the gaskets blew?
What do they look like now?
Do you know how to read them? Here's a good link...
sparkplugreading
The fact the engine lays down, could be a good indicator that there's knock sensor activity. [Should be seen on the scanner.]
Like mentioned before, the FP MUST rise #4# w/ boost rise.

My favorite is to check the fuel filter - the owner's manual called for a new one every 7500 miles and with a high volume pump I think it should be done at every oil change. Going lean enough to cause a miss, quickly enough, won't show on the O2 sensor since the miss fools it, and there won't be any error codes, so like Chuck said - fuel system.

OK I wanted to update this thread...Problem Solved!!!!! :)

I was at the junk yard to day to get a brake pedal for the vacume mod since my powermaster died. Anyhow, saw a buick in the yard that had the coil pack and ignition module still sitting in the engine, thought what the heck, $25 bucks later I put it on the car and I could almost tell this was going to solve it...engine rev'd better at idle, but I had to get the vacume brake mod done before I could drive it since i had no brakes. About 2 hours later, vacume brake install done...BTW, here's the middle finger to the powermaster haha, the vacume brakes are so much better. Pulled out of the neighborhood onto the main drag and got after it....Holy Schnikies...it doesn't die anymore, and good god thi thing is pulling hard...LOL I have a big smile on the face. So, as I had thought, the spark was blowing out..Don't know if was the coil pack or ignition module, but I didn't want to seperate them.

Steve

Back