You can type here any text you want

Spark plug defect?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

whoosh47

Car was running great the past couple of weeks and i even got it on the dyno. Then a few days after i started to get spark knock intermittently, but it was a sound i haven't heard before. Sometimes it would do it under wot and sometimes it wouldn't and then it get worse and done it all the time at wot. I decided to pull the plugs and some of them have a red residue and the number 6 plug porcelain was spinning inside the metal nut. You could actually turn the porcelain while holding the nut. Im guessing this was the cause of the spark knock, i was wondering if anybody else has had the same problem with the spinning plug. The plugs ar autolites 24.
IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0384.JPG

The red deposit is from additives to increase octane so it's not a surprise. I've had plugs do this as well as blow out. Most of the plugs made these days are from china so this isn't a surprise to me. Incorrect crimping of the porcelain or poorly made components from a country that was 3rd world less than 30 years ago and you're surprised?:rolleyes:

exxon 93 and running 100% meth in the alky kit

Just wont to point something out really quick. It doesn't matter what type/brand/company of gas that you use. Gas comes from the same place and is all the same. Now when it to to is buyer (the exxon or whoever) they add additives to the fuel. That is the only difference. So you could have gas from phillips 66. And when the mix it, they do it in several different ways. 50/50 mix and in-line are a couple. In-line is the most common and preferred. Now what you have to watch out for the gas is if their additives attract water.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I've had alot of plugs that have had black soot marks on the porcelain. Probably the same issue as your spinning porcelain, but not as severe yet.
Its messed up today, years ago when you bought brand name part whether it be AC Delco, Motorcraft, Autolite, Fram (yes fram was good years ago)
you recieved a QUALITY PART, not so much the case anymore:mad:

This is exactly why I quit using champion plugs. I had plugs actually blow the porcelain all the way out I found it still in the spark plug wire. This was on more than one car my s10 , my 96 silverado , my GN and more.

No kidding. Years ago when I was a service manager at a Yamaha dealership I made a fortune removing champion spark plugs.

It was the damnedest thing. Once I saw a champion plug, I'd replace it with a new NGK and that's all it took to have a running machine. For the life of me I can't figure out how you could manufacture a plug that just didn't work at all except out of the box.

Back