You can type here any text you want

Spark plugs on e85 diagnosis?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
are those the stock heat range or did you drop a heat range?

are you data logging, ie seeing anything out of the ordinary, lean/rich, timing etc? Oil on threads is probably some blow by.

Hard to tell but the ignition 'mark' that moves up and down the ground strap looks to be in the middle, where it's safe, on one or two of the plugs but it's hard to tell. It'd be easier to determine on a new set. That mark tells you how much heat is in the cylinder.

Hard to tell but the ignition 'mark' that moves up and down the ground strap looks to be in the middle, where it's safe, on one or two of the plugs but it's hard to tell. It'd be easier to determine on a new set.

I agree... Timing doesn't look way off. A set of clean plugs will make the reading more accurate.
Looks to be time for a leak down test, fresh plugs. I use AC R43ts at .028/.030.
You have the "hot dog" ign. I think it would support a .030 gap.
The oil situation is a concern...I'd spend some time finding where it's coming from. That much oil could lead to some serious detonation .

Ok gonna go buy those plugs and see what happens where should I look for the source of oil ?

Does it burn oil or smoke at all? Higher mileage engines can have many worn areas that let in oil. Valve guides worn, or valve seals, worn cylinders, pistons rings.

If a lower mileage engine ID look for miss aligned intake gasket sucking oil from the bottom of intake ports.

I remember it smoking at high rpm on the highway when I say high rpms under 5000 and it happen once that I noticed the motor has about 1000 miles and had just had head gaskets replaced from previous owner . right now I am Finnishing up on replacing my timing chain rear seal oil pickup front cover and pump water pump new can sensor and crank sensor and putting in a te44 .the turbo and the water pump is what's left to do do gonna put a new set of those plugs gap them to 30 how do I see if my valve seals are shot will it be visual if I take the covers off?

I remember it smoking at high rpm on the highway when I say high rpms under 5000 and it happen once that I noticed the motor has about 1000 miles and had just had head gaskets replaced from previous owner . right now I am Finnishing up on replacing my timing chain rear seal oil pickup front cover and pump water pump new can sensor and crank sensor and putting in a te44 .the turbo and the water pump is what's left to do do gonna put a new set of those plugs gap them to 30 how do I see if my valve seals are shot will it be visual if I take the covers off?

when you replaced the headgaskets .. you checked the springs , seals , guides ?? What did the pistons , combustion chambers, cylinder walls look like ?

Those plugs look terrible for those miles .. something is going on ... ive pulled plugs with 15,000 miles that don't look anything near that bad

There the ur4 v power ngk
I ran a comparo on the UR4.. says it's stock replacement plug, to be gapped at .035.
That should be a crossover to the stock TR plug pt # R45 heat range. Given the VR plug is hotter than what folks run w/ higher than stock boost, I doubt using a colder AC43 will work. The very high fouling on the VR would likely ruin a set of colder plugs, in an even shorter drive time. At this point, I'd do some looking, before spending the $ on a new set.

I'd pull the injs, and take a look at what may be in them.
I use an otoscope. It's a 10X, hi intensity LED lite unit. I got it off of the bag..Bout $50. Cheaper ones available, but I like the metal construction, nice storage case.
This scope works well on plugs, too.
Here's a link:
http://www.drmomotoscope.com/otoscopes_all.html

When you say I'd do some looking . Do you mean as to why the plugs got like that ?or ?

So here's a pic of injector 6 don't have that scope. But there's what looks like some crud or build up at the bottom of the injector looking at it from the top .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 151
did you get the back story on how the HG blew from the previous owner? possibly related to what you're seeing now?

so you get get a good idea of whats going on you may want to send injectors out to be cleaned, replace fuel filter, new plugs, and I'd also recommend pulling the fuel pump to ensure the pump sock is clean.

if you haven't already, get a quick fuel e85 tester (test tube) so you know what's going in the tank.

Just got new plugs ready to put in gonna get new filter cut that old one open see what's going on like chuck and others said and also the sock .I did just replace the timing chain it did have a lot of slop maybe that contributed to the plugs looking the way they do .didnt really get the lowdown as to why or how the hg blew.so back to the auto parts .

I'd cut it just under the neck. Don't use a hack saw, as that will fill the pleats w/ metal.

Back