Speaker Locations and how to figure out what works for you.

HzEmall Regal

Don't hack your car !!
Guys I have seen alot of posts and questions on the board about speaker locations and how they work and what is best in your G Body cars and I wanted to put some info out there for you to consider. I have no idea how to make it a sticky so I have to rely on just posting it this way.

In a G body there is really only 3 main spots in the front to place speakers and 2 in the rear.

The front being :

Dash
Doors
Kicks

The rear being:

Rear tray
Rear sides

Here is some simple things that you can try and play with to see what the difference in locations is.

A real easy experiment is to play some good quality music on a home stereo (not home theater) with just 2 speakers. Sit in the middle of the speakers about 4 feet away from the speakers as this is a realistic representation of what kicks are going to sound like, the further you sit away the more equal the pathlengths are going to be. Now move your chair in between the speakers and sit closer to the left speaker like you would in the car with door speakers and see what you think. Then sit right in front of the left speaker as that is close to what a dash speaker will sound like. Those 3 options will get you going in the right direction as to where you might want your speakers.

Now......

Go down to you nearest electronics retailer, buy a pair of small box speakers around $50 (make sure they have a good return policy as you are only renting these for a few days) Take the speakers and place them around the car starting with the kicks. Play some different styles of music and see what sounds good for you. You can also take your existing speakers and mount them on a small baffle and do the same.

Now everyone on here is going to have a different opinion of what sounds good in a car and what good music is for those people so you NEED to make this decision on your own cause your the one you have to please, no one else.

Take the box's and place them in the kicks, angle them so that they point at the dome light and listen to them, then keep angling them a little at a time until you find a sound that you like. Always use the same songs each time. Then place them on the sill panel where you would normally put a speaker in the door and listen to them, notice the difference and decide which is the better sound for you.

Then take the boxes and place them on the rear tray and the side panels and play with them until you hear the sound YOU like.

Here is some info on speakers to consider when chosing speakers and the locations to put them in.

Tweeters in the dash CAN work and sound good, if they are a good quality tweeter with a REALLY good crossover on them. Some tweeters are going to sound so BAD on the dash that you'll cry. Tweets in the dash has alot to do with reflections, the angle of the window and how you angle the actual tweeter. My 2002 Accord has factory tweeters in the dash with the mid in the door, I swapped the speakers out for some Diamond Hexs and it blew my mind how well it imaged when playing with the angle of the tweets up there. Tweets can work there if you spend the time to make them work.

You can do a combo of the tweet in the dash with the mid in the kick or the door, hell you can even place the mid in front of the front seat firing up (some claim it will work).

You can do a full kick set up with the mid and tweet in the kick panels, custom ones or Qforms.

You can also do a kick set up with a midbass in the door or cut the floor and do it in front of the front seats.

One thing to remember about door speakers, you are cutting the car, for those of you with GN's that are worth some money that is the wrong thing to do, if it's just a Regal like mine, cut away all you want, I DID !!!

A very basic setup to do in a G body is in the kicks, if you remove the factory kick panel you will find a "pocket" behind the kick in the metal (they are there in most GM cars and trucks) If you build a small baffle to space out the speaker a bit you can easily fit a 4" or 5" in there along with a tweeter, leave the kicks off for a few days and drive around and listen to it. This option requires no cutting of the car, and moving the ECU on the pass side, which is no big deal.

The next step is going with Qforms, these are a great way to get good sound for cheap, BUT if you go with these, you need to strenghten these, apply some fiberglass or even just a layer or 2 of dynamat (pick your brand name) This will make them more solid and allow you to get more midbass out of them.

The last step is to go with some all out custom kicks, under the carpet, over the carpet, attach to the factory plastic, you can cut the floor and move them back even farther, it's up to you.

Door panels, you can go with the concert panels, do some basic build outs, or go with some crazy cool custom ones either way listen to the options out there before you cut things up.

After doing all these different experiments (which can all easily be done in a day) decide for yourself what you think the best option in your car is for speaker placement.

After all, if you ask 10 people for their opinion on sound you'll get more then 10 answers :)

Decide for yourselves.

Spend the money right the first time, measure twice and cut once.

And don't drink beer while doing all this as beer will make things sound better then they are :D

I've done that one to many times the night before a big show :(

Car audio is fun, have fun with it !

Originally posted by Xtant Regal
Guys I have seen alot of posts and questions on the board about speaker locations and how they work and what is best in your G Body cars and I wanted to put some info out there for you to consider. I have no idea how to make it a sticky so I have to rely on just posting it this way.

Consider it "STUCK"! :) Very good info! This is what the board needs to help people understand sound and its invisible but physical properties. :)

WHAT!:confused: ....testing?...but...my installer works @ best buy and knows his stuff!...J/K, great info..I hope people at least take the time to do SIMPLE testing....BEFORE the hacking starts! joe

Hey Xtant Regal, first of all thats a beautiful Regal! I ran across it somewhere on the web and personally LOVED the solid grey. (IE-trim, grill, headlight bezels, etc etc). Keep up the good work!

Now, is there any way you can take a close up picture of the clear cornering lenses for me? I made some for my grey T-type, but I dont like how you can see the bulb. I have close up pictures of mine so you can see what I mean. If you get a chance, Id love to see a close up picture. Im thinking about using the amber insert as a tempate and making clear replica to slide back into the outer clear lense to hide the bulbs. Any ideas? Thanks very much!

I took some opaque plexi (the stuff they used in most cheap over head office type flouresent fixtures) and replace the reflector with that. I will try and take a pic.

Email me though at tim@hzemall.com

XtantRegal - you forgot the wave guide option.
Very easy install, excellent stage and image. You can even get some for the same price as a set of components any more...
just my .02

Great post..

Rogue Crew... I'm not flaming but asking.. I've never heard a waveguide car that sounded good to me.. This is only opinion.. what's a good brand to try..I've heard 2 USD cars and a couple of ID cars.. and just don't get it.. narrow soundstage "to me" and just didn't sound very natural at all.

Maybe it's the tuning.. as I've always though my car always sounded better than even alot of "comp" cars.

Thanks
John in DFW.

Hey John - actually, I TOTALLY agree with you. Prior to installing a set in my car, I had only heard 1 car that sounded good with horns, the rest were crap (I used to be an IASCA judge so I had heard alot of horn installs).

When I aquired my GN, I assesed the situation and decided to give horns a try my self and see what I could do with them.

IT IS ALL IN THE INSTALL and tuning when using horns. I think 99.9% of waveguide users bolt them in and do nothing more.

It's not hard to install/ tune them correctly, it is just different than tuning conventional setups. I think most people approach them in the same "business as usual" manner and in the end, fail at getting a good, accurate sound.

A "regulation/normalization" net work is essential. It's really nothing more than a notch flter designed to tame the aggressivness of the horn setup and can be purchased from the horn manufacturer that you choose. Currently I have no equalization in my system (will have soon) and they sound very good with just the filter on them and some careful x-over/gain tuning. With the EQ, I have no doubt they will sound great.

I currently use a hybrid Veritas accuwave setup, but also have a USD set here I've used as well. I tried both and the differences were negligible...neither is really better than the other, I chose the Veritas because I liked the cast aluminum lense...

It is also essential that the rest of the speaker system can keep up. You need a strong midbass driver and some mondo power on the midbass & sub to help balance it all out. At 109db efficiency, the horns lead the band and the rest have to try to keep up.

I will never have another system with out them. NOTHING can match their overall stage and image and their dynamics are something that cannot be matched by conventional speakers. This all, of course, depends on the tune...

Give them a try, just make sure your up to tackle the learning curve of tuning.