You can type here any text you want

Speaker recomendations

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ryan

CEO/Founder Nakslist.com
What kind of speakers should I use in the Door and the dash? Do not want to modify.

Thanx
Ryan

Pioneer, Cerwin Vega, Alpine, RF, etc.......You need to make sure that the driver is not too large depth wise or it will not fit.

The brands that I listed are examples that you can use in place of the factory drivers and you will get different opinions of what people like but what you need to do is listen to them yourself and see which ones you like the sound the best.

If your drivers are not blown, you can add an aftermarket amp to them and bring them to life and make it sound better then the factory deck power. Just a thought :cool: .

Audiowizard, which amp do you recommend for the stock Concert Sound II? Are there any rear speakers that you would also recommend keeping under the $100 range? I went to Best Buy yesterday and they only had one model of 4 X 10's available and there must be more out there. Thanks in advance for the advise Drew

Originally posted by Drew L
Audiowizard, which amp do you recommend for the stock Concert Sound II? Are there any rear speakers that you would also recommend keeping under the $100 range? I went to Best Buy yesterday and they only had one model of 4 X 10's available and there must be more out there. Thanks in advance for the advise Drew

Not sure which brand to recomend because there are alot them out there but I would go with a 4-channel rated at 200-300 watts (that is the common wattage of most 4-channel amps).

As for the 4 x 10s, I would upgrade to a 6 x 9 with adapters for a better bass response. Again, not sure what to recomend in that area because of the numerous brands.

I hope I have helped a little.

These amps can be used with the stock radio? Does a place like Best Buy have these adapters available? I've seen this talked about before but just never payed attention to it. 6 X 9's, there are tons of them available Thanks drew

These amps can be used with the stock radio? Does a place like Best Buy have these adapters available? I've seen this talked about before but just never payed attention to it. 6 X 9's, there are tons of them available Thanks drew

Yes you can use any aftermarket 12 volt amp towork with the factory head unit. There are basically 2 ways to get signal from the factory head to the amplifier.

1) LOC (line out converter) converts the decks speaker output wires (high level) into low level pre-amp signal so all you have to do is plug RCA cables to to feed signal to amplifier.

2) Some amplifiers have a "high level feed input" where you can feed the speaker wires + and - directly into amplifier to feed it signal. Either way will work.

Best buy, Circuit City, and any car audio shop will carry the adapters for the 4 x 10 to 6 x 9 coversion.

With that said will most any 6 X 9 work or are there only a few 6 X 9's that will fit with these adapters? I see your replies out here all the time. Thank you for yours! Drew

Some of the problems with the 6 x 9 is once you add the adapter, some of them will come in contact with the torsion bar because of a large basket and magnet. Do a search in the car audio section under 6 x 9s with adapters and there will be a listing of some of the brands that people have had no problems with. If I get a minute, I will dig one up for you.

The 2 topics below are the ones that recomend the brand of 6 x 9s that will work with the adapter.

Originally posted by Audiowizard
Best buy, Circuit City, and any car audio shop will carry the adapters for the 4 x 10 to 6 x 9 coversion.

You may have to go into their work area and physically show them what you're talking about though. The installers at a Circuit City here didn't know what I was talking about so I went down and pointed out the adapters hanging on their wall. :rolleyes:

BTW, they work great with the Pioneer TS-A6965 6x9 speakers that I bought.

Originally posted by MeanBuicks
You may have to go into their work area and physically show them what you're talking about though. The installers at a Circuit City here didn't know what I was talking about so I went down and pointed out the adapters hanging on their wall. :rolleyes:

Greg, I laughed so hard at your comment because it is basically true. I have had to repair some of these cars worked on by these type of installers on a regular basis. Alot of it has to do with inexperience, no pride, and dont really "care" attitude.

Your better installers will have the experience and work in high end shops but I guess you have to start somewhere ;) .

Thats what I had to do except the guy in the back didn't know what I was talking about after the salesperson sent me back there in the first place. Not to beat this subject to death but what iss the pricing for these adapters? Are there any speakers that you would not use (6x9) because they would hit the bars in the trunk? Thanks again Drew

I have a 6 pt roll cage, and the rear bars go right through the speaker holes. Now what do I do about rear speakers. Also, are there dash units that fit into the over sizes hole in the dash.

Ryan

Lastly, going to the search about adapters I see conflicting opinions about the success and fit of these things. Is there a brand that is better than one other ? Or for fit and ease just go back with the 4 X 10's. The feeling is the 6 X 9's sound better but by the time the money and effort is put into this little project it seems as it goes over the 4x10 pricing.Answer this for me and I will leave everybody alone! Thanks again, again, and again. Drew

Ryan,
Since the roll cage is in the way, you may have 2 alternatives:

1) Custom pods built in arm rest area of back seat.

2) Custom pods built on rear deck area aimed forward.

They offer a din and a half unit that will go in place of the stock head unit.

Drew,
There are 2 different brands of adapters that I know of and one of them is the Metra brand and we never had any problems with them. In the worse case senerio, the wire hangers can be manipulated to fit loosely or snug. The only real problem would be having a basket and magnet too large and coming in contact with torsion bars.

If I were going to replace rear 4 x 10s in car, I would go with the 6 x 9s for sure. I would read the 2 posts that I brought back up for you and purchase the brand of 6 x 9 that is recomended and go with that route. If you are happy with the bass output with the 4 x 10s that you have, then go with that route. The adapters are not hard to install (at least for me) so dont let them scare you.

Audiowizard, you mentioned 2 post to referrence in an ealier thread but there is nothing there. Thanks Drew

Audiowizard, you mentioned 2 post to referrence in an ealier thread but there is nothing there. Thanks Drew

I was talking about the 2 past threads that I pushed up for you

Need Opinions

6 x 9 Speakers

Sorry that I didnt clarify that, I should have said "threads" instead of "post" ;) .

amp on factory speakers

:) The factory speakers cound good with a little power to them. At one time I had a Hi Fonics Thor (125wpc)running the factory speakers and a Zeus (300wpc) bridged on 4 Kicker competition 12's in a isobaric push-pull box. I pulled it all out of my Slow.0 when I sold it and got tired of it sitting in the closet.
Be sure to use some type of x-over especially on the front speakers when adding an amp(caps,bass blockers,etc).
Audio Wizard-I do the same as you,I love working on audio stuff on the side as well and have been doing it for years. When I started you bought a nice tape deck,booster eq,and Pioneer 6x9 and you had a system,with an amp you were a stereo GOD. When I was a jr in high school I heard a Regal w/4 6x9,2 Sanyo 120w amps,2 tweeters(Alpine),and Alpine deck-and we wondered how he stayed in there!
I've been married a while and have a 6 yr old so I dont get to do as many as I used to but I still get references especially for boxes since almost every shop around here charges $150 and up for a sub enclosure and if the person wants 12's and has space for 8's,thats what they get,12's w/too little cu ft.
Sorry for rambling gotta go I'm working on a 95 Cougar for a friend,just built his box w/2 Kicker compVR 10's on a Punch 150@2
and a Audio Control EQ. No amp for the mids and highs yet.
Check yall later

Back