You can type here any text you want

speaker recommendations for my GN??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

national

Ok..now that I got the door speakers working...I have a pioneer mosseft(spelling) DEH-P7400MP head unit..sony explode 150 watt 6x9's in rear & stock dash & door speakers..all sounds ok but door speakers are barely heard..have to put ear to them to hear..is this normal or should I change speakers? Of what I can tell the dash speakers sound great to me & love the explodes also..I do have a pair of 6x9 explode 180 watts..should I replace the 150 watts with the 180's or will that make any difference ata ll & should I just stay with my door speakers or will it be worthwhile to change them & if so for what kind? I dont want to do any cutting on doors either..
Thanks,Brian

if that stereo is as close to mine as i think it is it has a thing called sal or sla, what it does it sends the low frequencies to the rear speakers making the frount ones easier to hear, but it doesn't sound very good in the back seat but thats when you turn it off or back to normal. you could change the frount speakers, that shoudl help a little bit. i'm selling a set of 3.5 inch blaupunkt speakers, very nice speakers, there in the for sale section, i typed up a lot on them so just go there instead of me telling you all about them here. what you could do is put speakers some speakers in the dor, like mine and then instead of another 3.5 in the dash do a component if you can find one that small or just the tweeter and crossover, and run the tweeter through the a piller and up the the celing, that should sound a little bit better. as for the rears theres really no use in switching from a 150 to 180 watt unless your planning on adding the extra watts to put to the speaker, if there better speakers go for it but you probably won't hear a big differnece. hope this helps

IMHO, the door speakers soound better when they are part of a component system and the lower freq's are not being routed to them. You can mimic this with some of the electronic devices mentioned - like using bass-blockers to the small speakers in dash. But they won't sound as good as a system with crossovers.

Also, I might be wrong, but I just don't think there is enough speaker size and space in that door area to give "big" sound. I feel the same way as you - not enough sound coming from there - and I have a Eclipse component system with tweeters up front, mid's in the door and 6X9's in the rear and 2 separate 300 watt amps.

I think those Q-Forms panels things are the way to go to add more sound, but they are not cheap. (but what is these days?).

Just my .02 but I don't think you are alone in your experience here!

components definately are the way to go, but they aren't all that cheap. what i'm saying is a normal coaxial in the door with a tweeter part of the component in the dash. the door speaker will bring out more sound than a mid bass from a component, not that its better but it should be close and the tweeter will really bring out the highs and put phycically put them where you want them, you have a lot more mounting options with a tweeter than even a small speaker. if you have the money to do a component in the door go for it!

IMO, to get bigger, better sound up front, you'll need bigger speakers. Unfortunately in 87, sound imaging was not that important at the time. That is porbably the best sound you'll get from your setup. Believe me, I've tried. The 4x6 in the doors are just too small. Look into Q-Logics custom kick panels that can acquire a 1" and 6.5" component speakers. They're actually on sale from Crutchfield for $150 ($200reg). Skys the limit with the speaker components. Try to get a good matching combo for your setup. I like Diamond Audio & JL Audio for speakers and Alpine V12 for highs and Phoenix Gold for Highs and Lows. Rockford tend to be a good all-rounded amp. Do your homework and plan it out. Good Luck and customize to your OWN preference. Don't skimp on the wires...

Tee

Back