You can type here any text you want

Specs for Poston's GN110T cam?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
Two questions....

1. Poston's GN110T cam....does anyone know what valve springs are supposed to be used with this cam?

2. Is there any real reason why someone would install a camshaft 4 degrees advanced in a turbo Buick engine?

Cam specs are I-212, E-206 @ .050. Lift is .478 intake, 456 exhaust.

The recommended springs are postons part number PE4993468 for both the 107 and 110 grinds.

Hope that helps.

Yes fatnat that does help....although a few more questions if you can help...

Would you happen to know what power range this cam works in?

Also since Postons is out of business, would you know of a suitable sub on what valve springs would work?

according to their 07 catalog ( I know I have a hard time getting rid of crap ) that cam should run from idle-6200 rpm. Maximum rpm of 6500. Hope that helps.

A 210 @ .050 lift degree cam is extremely unlikely to make any usable "power" beyond 5200 rpm, it may rev further but is flapping it's wings after 4700.
Great diesel camshaft peaking torque production around 3000 rpm.
No joke.

Kevin.

Kevin,

Is your response of 210 @ .050 lift degree cam is extremely unlikely to make any usable "power" beyond 5200 rpm...in just Buick turbo V6 engines, or just in general?

In general usage for a 2 valve per cylinder 4 cycle engine, exceptions to this "general rule" can be found in NHRA/IHRA stock eliminator classes, and not recommended for the faint of heart.

Kevin.

That cam will run low 10's with a p trim turbo and 25-30psi boost. Faster with a full size ex wheel. Peak power will be around 5000rpm and the shift points will be around 5600 if its run like i described. 1.65 rockers and more spring pressure will help it if the heads are good. Plenty of those in circulation and they have run well into the 10's with the junk converter tech of years past. I'd use comp 941 or k motion 750 and install with around 135-140 seat pressure

Bison, if this cam were advanced 4 degrees, would you happen to know if it would still pull to 5000 rpm?

Bison, if this cam were advanced 4 degrees, would you happen to know if it would still pull to 5000 rpm?
How do you know it's advanced 4*? It will pull to 5700 with 30psi boost if the combo is correct. I've run a similar intake lobe and had it advanced 2 or more degrees every time. Once I had it advanced almost 6*. The least powerful of the 4 engines of mine I've used a similar intake lobe it propelled the car to 127+mph in the quarter. There was not one point in any of the quarter mile that any of those engines were below 5000rpm from the instant the engine got over 5000. Flash stall was about 5000rpm on the least powerful one

06-14-2008 11;22;05PM.jpg
How do you know it's advanced 4*? It will pull to 5700 with 30psi boost if the combo is correct. I've run a similar intake lobe and had it advanced 2 or more degrees every time. Once I had it advanced almost 6*. The least powerful of the 4 engines of mine I've used a similar intake lobe it propelled the car to 127+mph in the quarter. There was not one point in any of the quarter mile that any of those engines were below 5000rpm from the instant the engine got over 5000. Flash stall was about 5000rpm on the least powerful one

I don't have proof per se, but I did get the cam card with the car that stated said cam was installed 4 degrees advanced. Also I recently swapped from a D5 (that I believe is stock) to a PTC 2800 LU converter and didn't see much improvement short of a .20 quicker 60 ft. (foot brake launching on 5-10 psi) and spool up is a little quicker now. My car pulls well from idle to about 4500. I figured the advancement of the cam is what's giving me the strong low to midrange power, and perhaps even allowed the use of a TE60, as I have read they're really laggy behind a D5.

Here's the cam card I received, perhaps there's something you could see/point out?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 148142

I don't have proof per se, but I did get the cam card with the car that stated said cam was installed 4 degrees advanced. Also I recently swapped from a D5 (that I believe is stock) to a PTC 2800 LU converter and didn't see much improvement short of a .20 quicker 60 ft. (foot brake launching on 5-10 psi) and spool up is a little quicker now. My car pulls well from idle to about 4500. I figured the advancement of the cam is what's giving me the strong low to midrange power, and perhaps even allowed the use of a TE60, as I have read they're really laggy behind a D5.

Here's the cam card I received, perhaps there's something you could see/point out?

Thanks in advance.
Looks like the advance was ground into it. Id install it and adjust it to the intake centerline they use on the cam card. If you have a decent flowing set of heads a higher rocker ratio will help. A te60 is about the same as a te44 on spoolup. It's a mismatch of wheels though. The turbine won't flow as much as te 60-1 compressor. It falls about 100hp shy at the same pressure ratio around 5000rpm. This is assuming you are running it for all it's worth with the small turbine and comparing it to the p trim run for all it's worth with the same compressor. Actually the p trim turbine will go further than the 60-1 conpressor wheel but it's a much closer match and way more effective if you run alky injection and have good heads. The small turbine te60 will drop off over 4600 from backpressure with good heads. With stock heads it will go a couple hundred rpm further. The cam really needs to be run with the larger p trim turbine to really make it wake up between 4800 and 5300. if you read the thread I made in the time slip section you can see what the 60-1 can do with a p trim and junk heads. Your cam would likely suit the combo I posted better than the 212 I used if it had 1.65 rockers and better heads than I did. It would probably make the same power at 5psi less boost. Fwiw those open/closing numbers on that card are at .050 tapper lift.

I am running this cam also it saya on the cam card it must be installed 4 degrees advanced. Will it work with a ta 49?

Hey Bison, this cam is actually already installed on my car. My engine has stock heads, I don't know if they've been ported or not.

Now are you saying on my turbo it has mismatched wheels? :confused: Should I swap them out?

Running it for all its worth....well when i race I do floor the accelerator and I have the psi set in the 23-25 range, not sure if that's all it's worth or not.

Now I gotta ask what's the p trim you speak of? Is this the turbo housing? Should I swap this out?

Also I've noticed on my car about 4600 it begins to feel like the power tapers off, that's why I thought an advancement of cam would do this, however you said this is where the cam tapers off on aftermarkets but it will be a few hundred rpm higher on stockers.

Thanks in advance, your posts have been helpful. :smile:

Hey Bison, this cam is actually already installed on my car. My engine has stock heads, I don't know if they've been ported or not.

Now are you saying on my turbo it has mismatched wheels? :confused: Should I swap them out?

Running it for all its worth....well when i race I do floor the accelerator and I have the psi set in the 23-25 range, not sure if that's all it's worth or not.

Now I gotta ask what's the p trim you speak of? Is this the turbo housing? Should I swap this out?

Also I've noticed on my car about 4600 it begins to feel like the power tapers off, that's why I thought an advancement of cam would do this, however you said this is where the cam tapers off on aftermarkets but it will be a few hundred rpm higher on stockers.

Funny stuff on the TE6031
Another well known Buick guy walked up to my car asked me what turbo is it that i have and when i replied TE6031 he said "That turbo is a piece of sh!t, I hate that turbo" funnier is that he forgets my build and every time i see him he asks me about the turbo and i just tell him that its a piece of sh!t that you hate-TE6031- i get the OH YEAH that one.
i have seen this turbo (TE6031) in a lot of cars, I guess the $599.00 price tag had a lot to do with that??

I'll send you a pm later with 3 key components that will really allow you to extract a lot of power with that compressor. You will need a ptc 9.5" to couple the power potential. The 60-1 flows the highest mass flow around 25-26psi. Around 60 lbs/min. Most don't or didn't have enough engine to max it out at that pressure ratio (including me). so I opted to overspeed the compressor to get the performance I did with it. As a result i probably choked of about 3-4lbs/min of airflow but if you crunch the numbers that's about 590-600hp. The car trapped 127.85mph. Looks like it's right where it should be.

Bison- With the TE60 dying at 4700 i guess it doesn't help shifting at 57-5800, Would it help to run this turbo with the huge Precision exhaust housing VS the OE garret housing?
i would guess just by looking at housings side by side that the Precision would free up some back pressure in the higher RPM range while producing some extra lag in the bottom end.
that said when looking to get the most out it in the 1/4 which way would it be better to run it??
thanks for your help.
David

I'll send you a pm later with 3 key components that will really allow you to extract a lot of power with that compressor. You will need a ptc 9.5" to couple the power potential. The 60-1 flows the highest mass flow around 25-26psi. Around 60 lbs/min. Most don't or didn't have enough engine to max it out at that pressure ratio (including me). so I opted to overspeed the compressor to get the performance I did with it. As a result i probably choked of about 3-4lbs/min of airflow but if you crunch the numbers that's about 590-600hp. The car trapped 127.85mph. Looks like it's right where it should be.
I wouldn't mind a forward on that. I was really impressed with the otto thread where you guys made pulls with different turbos. I remember you made very good power with that 6169

I'd use comp 941 or k motion 750 and install with around 135-140 seat pressure

Getting back to this, how does one go about setting up the valve springs with a 135-140 seat pressure? I've never done valve springs before.

Installed Height (in) 1.750 in.
Seat Pressure at Installed Height (lbs) 130 lbs.
Open Height (in) 1.250 in.
Open Pressure (lbs) 350 lbs.

Above are the install specs for the the CC 941 springs. So at 1.750 inches the springs should be approx 130 no set is always on the money across the board. You can take them to a machine shop and get them check for spring psi and then add some shims to raise this seat psi if you want to meet Bisons recommendation. With extra shims just verify coil bindl at full lift.

Back