You can type here any text you want

Spool on street

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HotAirGN

My regal is mainly a strip, weekend warrior, car. Am seriously considering a spool to get the power to the ground but I still want to be able to cruise in it on the street.
Will I be damaging anything by driving this car in other than a straight line? I won't be speeding around turns but what is the downside to having a spool with some or little street time?

I have a Mark williams full spool and Mark williams 35 spline axles, just use common sense and you should be fine.

Its probably not good for the rear tires. Now one tire will be dragging around a turn. Also, probably not too good for the rear suspension(bushings, mounts, etc.) because you will be putting lateral (side to side....instead of just front to back) force around turns. But, if you can fix your own car and dont care about uneven tire wear....go for it!

If this is a street strip car with limited street use, races often I would go for it. I purchased the same kit (Moser) and have had no issues with it. Other than a new fresh ring gear and pinion this will make the 8.5 very tough.

The weld on axle ends are a better way to go but the C clip elims can be done at home .

ANDYS87 said:
Its probably not good for the rear tires. Now one tire will be dragging around a turn. Also, probably not too good for the rear suspension(bushings, mounts, etc.) because you will be putting lateral (side to side....instead of just front to back) force around turns. But, if you can fix your own car and dont care about uneven tire wear....go for it!

Andy, do you really think someone considering a spool would be worried about a little tire wear, assuming that you are even correct in your statements?

Personally i would think anyone that considers a spool is not going to drive it daily...........but that's just my thinking.

I have had a spool for along time now and no uneven tire wear or "fixing" of the suspension. ;)

Thanks for the added confidence, for some reason I was sold that it would be next to impossible to drive on the street. Spool is a must. Tire wear I can deal with when I drive just down the steet. As for suspension I install it myself but everything is either new polyurethane or del-a-lum so hopefully I won't get as much binding.
Thanks for your help guys, also who has the best for the money Differential cover?

Back