You can type here any text you want

Squeaky LS1 Brakes . What to do???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbodan

My 87 Turbo T has the LS1 conversion with 12" slotted rotors. When i come to a light to slow down the brakes squeak like crazy. Also when driving i can hear the driver side brake squeak a little without putting my foot on the brake. The brakes only have about 4000 miles on them. If i were to go get new pads for my car what would i ask the autozone guy for? Camaro pads, Trans am pads. I bought this car with the conversion already on.

Funny this post came up. I was out cruising around and noticed that the LS1s on my dads car squeek at a certain light petal. Not really too sure what to do about it. Does yours have all the spring clips on it? If those are missing that could cause a bit of noise. Pads can be purchased for a 98-02 Camaro or Firebird.

Really have not looked for any srpings clips. Mine squeaks when i don't have my foot on the brake. Then when coming to a light and slowing down she squeaks louder

from what i know the factory rotors are were made of some type of metal that would make the f- bodys squel like crazy, i had the same problem on my 02 trans am so what i did is bought brand new cross drilled and slotted rotors and new brake pads from bendix and never heard a squel ever again. a guess the metal that was used on the factory rotors is defective. you can turn theme but the squel will come back :mad:

Turbodan said:
Really have not looked for any srpings clips. Mine squeaks when i don't have my foot on the brake. Then when coming to a light and slowing down she squeaks louder
The spring clips make a difference. Look at them to make sure they are there, and that they are not deformed from hard braking. You should be able to get a hardware kit from the local parts store with new ones if they have gone south.
Most importantly, you have AIR in your lines or calipers. Your brakes need to be bled and/or flushed with new fluid. Get some of that DOT 4 stuff with the higher boiling point and it will cure your squaling for some time. It will be even better the second time you flush it.
The air in your system is not alllowing the caliper to retract properly and the pad is getting hotter than it should while you are driving. When you hit the brakes, it gets even hotter. The pad is getting hardened from the excessive heat, and the squealing is the result.
If you find your pads are unevenly worn, your slide pins are not floating. They need to be removed, cleaned, regreased, and new dirt boots installed (they also come with the hardware kit).

This same issue was happening with my 99 Montana until I did the flush myself. The dealership just kept telling me that I needed new shims or different rotors, just trying to make money selling parts for no reason. BULLSH!T. I cured the problem myself when I could finally get a manual with the proper bleeding procedure for the ABS. Also did this to my GN, but they never squealed until the pads hit the warning tabs.

I ended up looking at my pads and decided that they had alot of life left on them. I put brake grease on the back of the pads and on the guides. that got rid of my squeaking sound while I was driving. I still get a squeak or 2 when I am using the brakes. Maybe I should try a better brand of pads. thanks all the help.

Back