You can type here any text you want

Stage 2 drivability

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1dmbth

I have a complete stage 2 on-center engine. The engine was a former Busch Engine. I either going to put the engine in my 87 GN or sell it and have TA Performance build me a complete new engine. I would like to keep my car drivable. I want to keep A/C on etc. My question is can the Stage 2 engine be made drivable on the street for cruising and provide good drvability. I want to research this some before I make any major decisions. Thanks for any imput.

Originally posted by 1dmbth
I have a complete stage 2 on-center engine. The engine was a former Busch Engine. I either going to put the engine in my 87 GN or sell it and have TA Performance build me a complete new engine. I would like to keep my car drivable. I want to keep A/C on etc. My question is can the Stage 2 engine be made drivable on the street for cruising and provide good drvability. I want to research this some before I make any major decisions. Thanks for any imput.

Firstly, a stage engine is just an engine with a very strong block. It can be built for the street or strip or road racing, depending on what you want as an end result. The internals
( and externals ) will determine the suitability for each use.

Typically, ( my understanding anyway ) a Busch engine is way too high in compression for turbo use, so a lot of re-building is required for street use in our turbo'd cars. (new pistons for sure and I question the wisdom in using 6.5" rods in a mostly street driven car as the wrist pins are up in the ring land area)

I'm certainly not an expert on these engines but a rebuild seems to be in your future, either the Busch or T.A.:cool:

Drivable, sure. You don't have to have some honkin' cam in it, it's all in the build and tuning.

Originally posted by Big Stu
Drivable, sure. You don't have to have some honkin' cam in it, it's all in the build and tuning.

Absolutely agree. Won't feel or sound like a stocker, but very driveable. Smog-able, in fact. :)

Thanks for input everyone! Does anyone know where or what type of brackets or where I can get brakets for the on-center engine for all the accessories that are on a stock turbo buick engine?

Stock brackets will work, except A/C with Stage 2 heads gets a little complicated. The stock aluminum main bracket fits, but the support brackets that bolt to the A/C and Alternator from the header flange won't work (S2 head exhaust port configuration is different.) You'd need to fabricate extra support for the A/C or the aluminum bracket will break. (I deleted the A/C using the S-10 delete bracket so I didn't worry about it.- do a search.) Other than that, it'll all bolt up.

Years ago, White Racing made a steel-plate accessory bracket. Don't know if they still do.

Thanks a lot for the information Mac! I am just trying to do a little research before I start. Also what did you do about the oiling system. The engine is now set up for dry sump, but I want to convert it to wet sump.

Originally posted by 1dmbth
Thanks a lot for the information Mac! I am just trying to do a little research before I start. Also what did you do about the oiling system. The engine is now set up for dry sump, but I want to convert it to wet sump.

Duttweiler sells a wet sump conversion set up. Draws oil from a fitting in the pan. Works real well.

George

Thanks a lot for the information! The other thing I would to know is I am working on the carb intake manifold to convert to fuel injection and was wondering should I make a provision for the PCV valve. Like I said I will mainly street drive the car. I would like to know what I can do about other emissions equipment as well. I would like to keep it legal as possible.

Back