You can type here any text you want

Stage II

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Brandon

What are the benifets of going to a stage II block? Was it a production block? Where can you find them?

I was looking at the TA block but a friend of mine told me about a stage II and said their stronger than stock.

I did a search but couldn't find any info.

Any help would be nice. I'm getting ready to build a engine for my 87 GN and am looking for 1000+ hp.

I have everything else worked out just need block info.

Thanks

if you think have everything else worked out you may want to read up a little more on GN's then as there is a lot to think about when doing a motor buildup..... :D

Stage2 was a Buick Motorsports aftermarket offering (from GM dealerships). On center blocks were thought of as stronger and none of the factory GN parts were interchangeable. Off Center blocks could interchange some stock GN parts (crank/intake etc).

The blocks are getting to be as rare as hen's teeth on the used market (nearly nonexistant now) and can no longer be purchased new for a few years now from GM. New virgin blocks command $3500+, forged cranks from $1200-3K, forged rods are fairly easy to find used for around $500, and most major piston manufacturers offer a slug for the motor or can make one $600-1K). So there you have $5K in parts for the shortblock without maching and oil pan/pump provisions (add $2-5K), Next decision is heads.... GN1's or Stage 2 is what most run. $2500-5K+ easy. Next comes intake.... Either rework a stock carb'd Stage 2 intake for EFI or have a custom one made $500-3K. Aftermarket fuel management $2-4K, custom headers $1500-2500...... the list goes on and on. You can pass the $20K mark in a blink of an eye. They can make upwards of 1400hp!

Best way IMO is to buy a complete longblock or complete running used motor from someone on the board selling one. Save some bucks and know the parts work. There is a lot of junk out there so whoever you buy it from have them take it to a credible machine shop that knows Stage motors before buying one.

If it were me..... I'd wait until someone finally has a TA alum block running and see how it turns out... whether there are any problems with them and how much power they can hold. I'd build one of those. No shortage on parts as TA Performance is making these from scratch in a foundry. They are also making alum heads that should flow great. This cost will also surpass the $10K mark in a heartbeat as the blocks are $3K+ without any machining done. They are touting a 2000hp limit.... but no real testing aside from internet word of mouth has been really made public and proven. Noone is racing one that the turbo Buick community knows of.

Hope you have a big checkbook.... as Stage 2 stuff and TA aluminum block will be pricey.

A stock block prepped with billet girdle is safe to about 650-700hp before I would be really worried that it won't last long. Realize pushing any engine to the limit like this will require increased maintenance and shortened rebuild intervals. A new Eagle forged crank is $550 so this may be a more reasonable cost effective way to go.

If you want a bad ass Stage 2 setup here is a brand new setup that needs assembly and uses pretty much the best of the best.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111375

-GNX7

I would like to add to that and say that my friend glen just had ta performance build an aluminum race motor for him, and it cost a lot. Cheap and stage 2 don't exist in the same sentence, if you break one of these motors, figure on spending thousands to fix it, if at all. I know that you can get a stage 2 for cheaper than the ta block, and until someone proves they can beat 1600+ horsepower with the ta block, than I would stick to the regular stage 2. I mean, even if you could get 2000 horse out of the ta block, how the hell would you put all that power to the ground. Most people with full tube chassis and a lenco or a liberty trans can't handle more than 1300, good track conditions providing. Just my two cents, with my experience with both blocks.:)

Stage 2

I just picked up my new virgin S2 oncenter block in BG a couple of days ago. :D I'm still excited.;)

Back