Stainless Steel Brake Corp - any good?

Originally posted by ez at nova
I did a search and didn't see anyone commenting on this company's stuff.
Anyone have oppinions?
http://www.ssbrakes.com
I guess it's a bit steep over the price of regular reman. calipers...

I just used PST for my SS hard lines, and Russell for the SS flex hose.
Everything fit well. The hard lines took a little tweaking but not enough to gripe about.
Just mentioning it as a bench mark.

I was talking about the $300 aluminum calipers and the $250 slotted rotors with pads. Do a search for our cars and they will come right up. They also have big brake kits (for big $$)

Originally posted by ez at nova
I was talking about the $300 aluminum calipers and the $250 slotted rotors with pads. Do a search for our cars and they will come right up. They also have big brake kits (for big $$)

If you want to improve the brakes, the first thing to do is go with the B-Body 12" front disc conversion. That 550 you mention would go along way toward doing the 12" conversion.

I've done the slotted drilled rotor stuff and never saw any real difference. They at times can improve the pedal feel a little, but they have more downsides then up sides, IMO.

Originally posted by bruce
They at times can improve the pedal feel a little, but they have more downsides then up sides, IMO.

What are the downsides of having drilled/slotted?

-Jade

I'm partial to the Baer stuff, but you can make your own if you are so inclined with the G-Body spindle. The problem I have with slotted and drilled, as Bruce said about cracking, but when you use an aggressive pad like Performance Friction, which DOES NOT RECCOMEND drilling or slotting, and you drive it hard, under braking it feels like metal to metal contact, and makes the front end jerky. I tried first drilling only then slots only and it did it under both conditions.

The company has been around a while and had a solid reputation in the Corvette commmunity. There was always a problem with 60's and 70's Vette calipers pitting and they were one of the first to use stainless sleeves to solve the problem. They serail-numbered the calipers and offered a liftetime warranty long before most people did anything like that.

I can't say how their Buick stuff may be, but their past history was great.