stall speed

boostmaster

in the market for a new converter and during my research i have been getting varying degree's of opinions on lock-up vs non lock-up. high stall 2800-3100 vs medium stall 2300-2700. even down to what size converter is best for street daily drivers. can anyone collaborate on this. i had one person tell me that higher stall in the effect of the 2800-3000rpm area would be great for helping on the 60' but would kill my mph on the top in, is there any truth to this can someone help remove this cloud.

Well, first off the major factor in our cars determining stall speed is turbo size. The larger turbo the more stall you'll need to get the turbo spooled up.The looser convertor will allow a bigger turbo to spool quicker to a higher boost level for optimal launching.You might want to elaborate on your setup for proper evaluation by the board members.

As for driveability I can't notice the difference at light to medium throtle (Street driving) in the stall speed. I run a non-lock convertor and only see a 200-300 RPM drop at 60 mph over the old lockup.

With the 2004R you can have the best of both worlds, high stall and High MPH. Due to the fact that you can have a lockup convertor that can be locked after at 1/2 track and wont lose the RPM that a non-lock would. If you are going to go fast (12.00 or faster) you'll need a convertor that can handle the power of a high HP car bing locked at WOT repetedly ( i.e. Bruces 9/11 or a vigalante 7 disc) For a slower car a 'lesser' convertor would do restalled D5, redstripe orangestripe etc...

my combo is 85 hot air stock long block and all bolt ons with a ta49,stock 342 gears w/posi. had my car dyno'ed and i,m only pulling 280hp@4400 and 340ft lbs@4100 testing was done at present state with a budget less than efficient converter. i figured with my peak torque being so far up in the power band a stall speed of about 3000 could only do me some good but i'm still concerned about street ability and mph trap speed specially since i'm only getting only 94mph in the traps. also with my horses being so low would a ultra duty converter ie; the vigilanti, 9/11,yanks be to much for my car and not help at all.